PICS OF PEELING SHELL

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunkisseddragons

5 Year Member
[/size][/font][size=small]
I posted a thread a few days ago and got a few replies. Here is a couple of pics. The growth ring is about an inch tall and softer than his shell and is not occurring on the other side. Also look close at the bottom part of the shell. It looks like it spreading apart and the inside is not smooth. It doesn't look right to me. Any advise would really help.
Thanks

Attachments

• PC230178 (845 x 634).jpg
    PC230178 (845 x 634).jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 107
  • PC230180 (845 x 634).jpg
    PC230180 (845 x 634).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 77

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Isn't that yellow pus like gunk oozing? I believe it was recommended that you get him to a vet right away. Those white blood cells need some help fighting whatever it is.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
It looks like an old injury to me...is this a new animal you just acquired? I thought you had a hatchling? Can you post a picture of the entire animal, and any more pictures of the areas that are peeling?

If the animal is young, it could be a problem, but on an older sulcata it could be just wear and tear that's healing. My tort has shell damage as well, but he was WC. More pictures will help.

Are the areas dry to the touch?

sunkisseddragons

5 Year Member
My sulcata is 2 yeras old. This is something new that started about 2 months ago. It's completely dry, there is no pus. If there was pus, I would of known to take him to the vet. But I will be really upset if I take him and they tell me it just a growth ring. Thanks for the advise.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It is just new growth :D Not sure about the yellow bit, but you can put an antibiotic ointment on the yellow bits. If he/she is not growing evenly (one side growing and not the other), your going to have to apply vasoline to all the scute seams. This will loosen the scute seams and let them be able to seperate.

Danny

sunkisseddragons

5 Year Member
Thank You Danny-That's what I thought it was. It isn't smelly or pussie, just a little softer that his shell. I'm assuming it will harden up?
I will try the vaseline.
Thanks again

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Not a worry. The yellow is new deposition of keratin on an old injury. When the new keratin is deposited the old keratin flakes off.

sunkisseddragons said:
[/size][/font][size=small]
I posted a thread a few days ago and got a few replies. Here is a couple of pics. The growth ring is about an inch tall and softer than his shell and is not occurring on the other side. Also look close at the bottom part of the shell. It looks like it spreading apart and the inside is not smooth. It doesn't look right to me. Any advise would really help.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.