Pics of my rediculously shy antakyan greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Our new little Greek tort is rediculously shy. He pulls into his shell whenever a person comes within 10 feet of him! The only way I can get any pics of him with his head out, is to use the zoom of my camera, and heaven forbid the camera makes a clicking sound.

There is just NO WAY I'm going to be able to trim his beak - he pulls so far into his shell, and then covers his face with his legs... he'll just have to shed it on his own - I provide rocks and a cuttlebone, so hopefully it will take care of things eventually.

Boo has lost a little bit of weight (15 grams) since I got him. I refuse to feed him pellet food like his old owner, and he's picky about which greens he'll touch. He's gaining it back now, but I was worried for a bit.

Here are 2 pics of Boo bathing (we soak him for 20 mins in a large cement mixing tub filled with about 1 inch of water - he loves it!). Isn't he pretty? (and so much more handsome without the horrid metal ring the old owners put in his shell!)

Boo hiding.JPGBoo bathing.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He is absolutely beautiful and give him time to warm up...bad thing about metal rings is likely he was pulled about...so since he no longer is subject to that environment he will likely gain trust with you slowly....again, beautiful tort.

pennyw

5 Year Member
north carolina
well boo is lucky to have found you. give him time , he is a pretty tort!
congrats!

ModestMuse

5 Year Member
I'm glad the little guy finally has a proper caretaker! I've never heard about metal rings on a tortoise; what's the purpose for them? They sound absolutely horrible...

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
ModestMuse said:
I'm glad the little guy finally has a proper caretaker! I've never heard about metal rings on a tortoise; what's the purpose for them? They sound absolutely horrible...

It actually used to be quite common (now made illegal, or at least heavily frowned upon). People would put metal rings into their tortoise's shell so they could go on walks with them on a leash, or so they could tether the tort to a post in the yard so they wouldn't run away.

The previous owner tethered the tort in their yard for the duration of the Summer. :(

Boo is still pretty young, he hatched 2005, so I am hoping over the course of the next 100 years he learns that folks around out to harm him. He is still super scared of people, but at least walks around his enclosure a bit even when people are in the room. When nobody is in there we can hear him clunking and clonking all about his enclosure, so we know he is healthily active...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
He really is a beauty! And he's very lucky to have found you!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.