Pics of my girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Corona
Well here is Shelly. Shes a big girl (~12" x 9"). Very heavy. Any guesses on her age?

You can see the old paint and the hole someone drilled. At least she has a good life now.....

Attachments

• shelly.jpg
    shelly.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 87
  • shelly 2.jpg
    shelly 2.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 59
M

Maggie Cummings

She's beautiful...Is there some reason you haven't removed that paint?

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
Here is a pic of my brothers DT. The vet says hes about 15. My brother recued him about a year ago.

My brother also has a 4 year old DT, several russians and a pond with softshells, red ears, missisippi map turtles, and one other species....that I cant remember.

My point for showing him is......

Look at the coloring of the skin. Brown vs Shelly's black skin.

Why are they so different? Are they both CA DT's or is one more likely something else?

Hi Maggie, I have been advised to leave it alone.

Im going to carefully try a toothbrush and water. I dont think that will bother her too much.

Attachments

• Mr T.jpg
    Mr T.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 45
M

Maggie Cummings

lgdpt said:
Here is a pic of my brothers DT. The vet says hes about 15. My brother recued him about a year ago.

My brother also has a 4 year old DT, several russians and a pond with softshells, red ears, missisippi map turtles, and one other species....that I cant remember.

Why are they so different? Are they both CA DT's or is one more likely something else?

Im going to carefully try a toothbrush and water. I dont think that will bother her too much.

I personally would use a old rag and paint thinner scrub it off then rinse really good with soap and water. Others will say to not use paint thinness on a carapace, but if washed off right away I can't see what that would hurt...But that's just me, I never follow the rules...:p

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Awww that's really sad. I'm glad the tort now has a loving home, and hopefully she can lead a happier life.

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
maggie3fan said:
lgdpt said:

I personally would use a old rag and paint thinner scrub it off then rinse really good with soap and water. Others will say to not use paint thinness on a carapace, but if washed off right away I can't see what that would hurt...But that's just me, I never follow the rules...:p

Thanks, I think I will just use water. If the paint thinner ended up making her sick.....I would never forgive myself. Im kind of a chicken. :D

M

Maggie Cummings

I just can't see why it would make her sick. It wouldn't soak into her carapace. You'd get off the paint and rinse with soap and water. I don't think you will get the paint off any other way...She's really pretty.
Here's Mildred. The family dog at her previous home chewed off her leg one day while the keeper was at work. She then gave up Mildred and I ended up with her. So beautiful and regal. And I added a picture of some babies, too cute.
11v36yu.jpg

1582f4p.jpg

mczuia.jpg

nozk9f.jpg

14b6m9l.jpg

I hope you enjoyed them...

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
Wow, is Mildred the mama? That is so great that she healed and can have a normal life. Shes a great looking tort!

The babies are all so cute! Are they all California DT's?

Thanks for sharing.

M

Maggie Cummings

lgdpt said:
Wow, is Mildred the mama? That is so great that she healed and can have a normal life. Shes a great looking tort!

Thanks for sharing.

No Mildred is not the Mama. I left her at my sister's when I moved here to Oregon, and unfortunately she died shortly after that.
Those are 2 different clutches, yes they are Gopherus agassizii...
I have hundreds of pictures of the desert tortoises I have head started...I just love them. They are so personable, they are easy to give meds to, they don't pull their heads in so quick like Sulcata do. And they are mostly easy keepers...

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
maggie3fan said:
lgdpt said:

Thanks for sharing.

No Mildred is not the Mama. I left her at my sister's when I moved here to Oregon, and unfortunately she died shortly after that.
Those are 2 different clutches, yes they are Gopherus agassizii...
I have hundreds of pictures of the desert tortoises I have head started...I just love them. They are so personable, they are easy to give meds to, they don't pull their heads in so quick like Sulcata do. And they are mostly easy keepers...

Thats so neat it must be so rewarding to watch them grow. Do you adopt them out when they get to a certain age? They are just so cute...

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
Ya, Im not going to put any chemicals on her. I wouldnt risk it. Murphys Law....

The paint doesnt bother me, and it will come off eventually.

Hey Maggie...how do you post pics directly into your post? I hate having links people have to click on.

M

Maggie Cummings

I go here...http://tinypic.com/?t=postupload...then you click on browse, add your picture then click on upload now...then that gives you a tiny url that you copy and paste in your post. When you then hit post ta da! The picture is there. If you need more help let me know, I'm not very good at giving computer advice, but doing the pictures that way is so easy after you know what you're doing. And it's great to have them right in your post...let me know how you do...

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I love all the pics. Shelly is lovely Travis :D You're lucky !
Maggie, I can see what you mean about Mildred, she definitely looks regal :) Lovely babies too!

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
Thank you Stace, I feel very lucky to have her!

Maggie, here is my attempt.....

js0pih.jpg

It worked! Thanks for the great instructions!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Travis, She is lovely. Congratulations on obtaining her. And what's a little paint if it doesn't bother you. :)
Maggie, wonderful pics of some of your babies. Thanks for sharing them with us.

M

Maggie Cummings

lgdpt said:
Thank you Stace, I feel very lucky to have her!

Maggie, here is my attempt.....

js0pih.jpg

It worked! Thanks for the great instructions!

Good job! Those were pretty crappy instructions...you did good!

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Lol. She is lovely! I would leave the paint too - gives her more character than the normal lovely DT :) Like it, tells a story of her before you had her....her history.

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
Speaking of her history.....the paint spelled "maxine."

So, does anyone have an opinion of my some DT's have black skin and some have brown skin? Is it just one of those things? Or are they not both CA DT's? Here is that pic of my brothers DT....

2mfjeyx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.