Picky eater

TomTheBoxTurtle

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have a juvenile 3 toed and I can't get him to eat anything but superworms. He's completely uninterested in any fruit, veg, or anything that isn't a superworm lol. I offer other things but he comes up, checks to see if it's superworms, and then walks away.
What can I do?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Its gross but put his food in the blender with a couple of super worms and spin it into mush so now the superwom coats everything. Hope that helps. My Leopard gets picky sometimes when it gets close to Mazuri day so I often space it out further.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I have seen this so many times over the years in my own as I'm sure many here have. I do not know much so hopefully others will soon chime in.

My experience would say.....Thankfully, you aren't shocked by it. Many years ago, during renovation to the Reptile House and Great Ape house, I spent time with the curator of the Nat Zoo who contrary to his own veterinarians, swore that turtles are completely "instinctual animals and can not make choices". I of course begged to differ and here on this forum, we all know differently. If they really go nuts over something that is provided more then once a month or so it seems, a lot of species will "hold out for their fav". Blending is a great method as long as that works for you, it will for him.

Honestly, I found the same thing that worked for my kids worked for turtles too....hmmm, I had the turtles long before I had kids.....Correction; what worked for my turtles also worked for my kids, but you don't have a prob with kids.....

Come on, you got this.....provide a healthy diet, if you have been giving, withhold regular treats. Yeah it hurts but it really is for his own good....he will eat long before he goes into wasting mode.....but pay attention to his weight because you didn't mention how many months.

an analogy......I always said that women Elementary teachers are a lot like 4th grade girls in a lot of ways, good ways of course. Turtles to some extent, are too! I for whatever reason have always treated my smaller, younger turtles, like children...dunno, just have.

Good luck and fwiw; my baby box does the same thing.....she's learning too....

jeff

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
The blender idea is good and even just hand mixing it all together in a blob can work over time. Mix some chopped up berries, melon or mango and some finely minced dandelion greens with a couple super worms. Plop it all in front of your turtle. It may pick out the super worms, but they will be coated with fruit juice and greens and some of it will go down the gullet. The turtle will experience new scents and flavors and learn that the other stuff is food too. Jeff is right about discipline too, and by discipline I mean the keeper more so than the box turtle. After a time without super worms your turtle will be more willing to try other foods. I have a surrendered adult turtle that was previously fed a decent variety of foods but it was all smothered with baby food at every meal. It went on a hunger strike for several months when I withheld the baby food but it eventually started eating a little here and there and now, just over a year later, rushes over to test what I am offering at feeding time. It doesn't always like the meal but is learning to try new food. They have a slow metabolism and if they are healthy and adjusting well to their environment won't let themselves starve.

TomTheBoxTurtle

Texas
Update: Thanks guys, I don't have a blender so I got some pellets, soaked them with some water so they were mushy to mix with a little banana, strawberry, some finely cut greens, red worms and a couple of superworms. While digging for the worms he ended up actually eating some of the strawberry, decided it was tasty so started picking at the other stuff too. All I had to do was trick him lol. Glad to see him eat a variety. He had a good meal and is now full, happy, and burrowed up in some moss.