Picky eater or?

mlummus

So I recently moved Frankie into a new enclosure. He's been in his new home for almost a month now. At first I expected him to be scared and Not eat/sleep a lot but after a nice soak he went back to normal and has been eating fine! His normal diet included mustard greens, turnip greens, shredded squash, kale, pumpkin (canned), and cilantro. Not all at one time but different combos every day to try and switch things up for him. For about a week now he has been really picky. Not eating any of the greens, sometimes he'll eat the squash and he'll ALWAYS eat the pumpkin. I don't want to"feed" this picky eating habit any more because I know it's not good for them to eat the same thing all the time. What have you guys done to break the picky torts?
Also on a side note, is the pumpkin fine to feed him more occasionally?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have found that a couple of starvation days in a row fixes up a picky eater very quickly.

Actually, pumpkin is a fruit and we've been told not to feed our tortoises too much fruit (unless, of course, it's a type that eats fruit)

mlummus

Is it true that the pumpkin has a working effect though? Not that I think he has worms but still lol

And he is a Russian

mlummus

Well I am not a strong person! After 4 days of not even looking at his food bowl (he has confined himself to his hide and has been sleeping) I gave in and gave him more pumpkin. But after 4 days of not eating I'm starting to think there's more to it. Is he thinking that it's time to hibernate? Because all he's doing is sleeping.. Temps haven't been below 80° in the room he's in and granted we just had a "cold front" here in Louisiana so normally temps in his room could be in the 90°s. Could this be another factor?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Temps likely have something to do with this. What is the basking and high temp? They need to heat up to 80 or 85 to digest food.

mlummus

The basking lamp was about 12 inches away from the ground and it would reach about 92°. I lowered it a tad today to see if that would help. I only have one temp gauge in the enclosure and that's for the heat lamp. I have another temp gauge for the entire room and the room at its lowest temp ever this summer got around 72° but normally stays around 85°.