Picky eater and possible dehydration?

JayTay

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I'm very new and definitely need help. This is absolutely the board for me!

Rosebud is a 9ish year old male with two issues:

1) He has always been a picky eater. He sticks to only Romaine and green leaf lettuces. When he first came to me last summer, I offered a wide variety of garden-grown, fresh organic greens right from our yard. I made a 'shredded salad' with several types a couple of times - he only ate the bits he liked and left the rest. Now, I sprinkle his lettuce with Miner-All and ground tortoise chow, and spray generously to make it stick. (Rosebud eats with gusto!) No problems with appetite if it's what he prefers.

2) I can't tell if he's dehydrated. He doesn't seem to show the typical symptoms - expelled urates look good, his feces aren't too firm/too soft, good energy. I started misting him along with his foods months ago, but I haven't noticed much difference. Soaking him initially stressed him out, but the last few times, Rosebud has taken the opportunity to relax (completely...) and tolerates it. The only reason I'm concerned is that he does appear a bit skinny and his skin condition doesn't look as smooth.

His substrate is 50% sand and 50% of the coir fiber with a clump hay for hiding (or ignoring, really). He is not a burrower in his terrarium (we will be updating his house this spring and building an outdoor enclosure) but loved hiding in the grass in our backyard. I mist and mix his substrate every couple of days, but I'm wondering if it's still just not right.

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
Re: RE: Picky eater and possible dehydration?

JayTay said:
I'm very new and definitely need help. This is absolutely the board for me!

Rosebud is a 9ish year old male with two issues:

1) He has always been a picky eater. He sticks to only Romaine and green leaf lettuces. When he first came to me last summer, I offered a wide variety of garden-grown, fresh organic greens right from our yard. I made a 'shredded salad' with several types a couple of times - he only ate the bits he liked and left the rest. Now, I sprinkle his lettuce with Miner-All and ground tortoise chow, and spray generously to make it stick. (Rosebud eats with gusto!) No problems with appetite if it's what he prefers.

2) I can't tell if he's dehydrated. He doesn't seem to show the typical symptoms - expelled urates look good, his feces aren't too firm/too soft, good energy. I started misting him along with his foods months ago, but I haven't noticed much difference. Soaking him initially stressed him out, but the last few times, Rosebud has taken the opportunity to relax (completely...) and tolerates it. The only reason I'm concerned is that he does appear a bit skinny and his skin condition doesn't look as smooth.

His substrate is 50% sand and 50% of the coir fiber with a clump hay for hiding (or ignoring, really). He is not a burrower in his terrarium (we will be updating his house this spring and building an outdoor enclosure) but loved hiding in the grass in our backyard. I mist and mix his substrate every couple of days, but I'm wondering if it's still just not right.

Urates are build ups of calcium...if a tortoise is hydrated, then they will expel almost 0 urates...how often does he pass urates?

I am NOT an expert by any means, but I know some people advise against using sand...an expert will come along and help you soon.

JayTay

Oregon
Not terribly often. He just had a glob this week. This making me think that he's getting too much calcium with his lettuce. Now that I read the can of Miner-All, I don't think the family has been doing every third feeding (or at least, I can't guarantee that).

I'm also getting more frequent with his soaks (now that he seems to enjoy them), keeping the substrate just a little more damp. Okay, so he's clearly not getting quite what he needs: any suggestions on getting him back to hydrated ASAP? I was going to soak him every other day for 15 minutes for a while and then go back to once/week.

Substrate seems like a hotly debated topic. A lot of online sources give conflicting information, which is frustrating for a conscientious newbie. I think I'm going back to bark/coir with some topsoil unless someone is dying to stop me. ;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What type of tortoise?

If it were me I would toss the sand, it is just too risky for impaction issues....I know some folks use it but something like at 25% sand to 75% earth style substrate....

I would not use hay either....don't like it due to mold potential and very few species LOVE it....lol...

I would also soak the tort each and every day at least once for 30 minutes in a warm water soak---if he is trying to get out of the soaker then consider that a plus, motion helps to move the bowels... :D which helps to keep the tort regular....they will eventually begin to tolerate soaks when they need to be soaked....just my opinion...

JayTay

Oregon
ascott said:
What type of tortoise?

If it were me I would toss the sand, it is just too risky for impaction issues....I know some folks use it but something like at 25% sand to 75% earth style substrate....

I would not use hay either....don't like it due to mold potential and very few species LOVE it....lol...

I would also soak the tort each and every day at least once for 30 minutes in a warm water soak---if he is trying to get out of the soaker then consider that a plus, motion helps to move the bowels... :D which helps to keep the tort regular....they will eventually begin to tolerate soaks when they need to be soaked....just my opinion...

Rosebud is a Russian.

I went out straight away after reading more about substrate to see what my small town has to offer. Personally, I thought the sand (even when mixed 50/50) doesn't seem like a great option. I'm in farm country, so not a whole lot of products and knowledge about tortoise care. Between Wilco and Fred Meyer's, I found sphagnum moss ($9), orchid bark ($4 for 16 quarts, on clearance, likely discontinued!) and topsoil (1 cubic ft for $5). I still have two bricks of the coir.

Huh, several sites mentioned using hay as more fiber/burrowing substrates, etc. Rosebud tends to ignore it, so I guess I'll skip that too.

My plan is to mix topsoil and coco coir - what's a good proportion? - and add moss for his hide log and bark around his watering hole.

I really appreciate the help!