Photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.

onarock

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
I am the worst picture taker. Any good photographers that have advice would be appreciated. There might not be any pro's out there, but there are some good photographers on the forom, I've seen them (come on you know who you are).
Mahalo

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
These are my three rules to ensure a good shot!

Rule one...try to photograph your subject at its level (or lower for a truly dramatic effect).
Rule two...keep a steady hand (or use a tripod or a rock...anything that keeps the camera steady).
Rule three...be patient! Let the picture come to you (i.e. don't force the issue)

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I have issues with my digital camera. I see the pic I want and click the button............. and.............. snap! picture taken. usually when the pose is gone. persevere and keep what Dean said in mind. good advice.

teri

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm in the same boat, I can't seem to do my tortoises justice in any pictures I take. My issue is they can't stay still for more than 2 seconds, they're always on the move.

Good points Dean.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Equipmentwise...you may have to go with a faster lens...I KNOW! I KNOW! They cost too much! I actually like my digital (Nikon D40X)...it isn't the most expensive kid on the block and of course you can shoot a thousand pictures and get rid of the 999 that suck! They make VR lens (vibration-free) and that helps, but not always! But look at the bright side...you can delete the pictures that you're not happy with and start all over with empty card space...it's not like blowing $6 on a roll of film then another $7 for processing only to find out they are all out-of-focus!;)

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I have a Nikon D40x (actually its my wifes), but I dont know how to use it so I use my sons cannon powershot. You have some good advice and it's inspired me to go out right now (weather permittng its been raining here on and off since Saturday) and take some long overdue pics of my platynota.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
The Powershot is a really good camera ( as long as it's a 10 megapixel or better)...it takes a lot of guesswork out of photography...again look at the three rules...you'll do fine!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
onarock said:
I have a Nikon D40x (actually its my wifes), but I dont know how to use it so I use my sons cannon powershot. You have some good advice and it's inspired me to go out right now (weather permittng its been raining here on and off since Saturday) and take some long overdue pics of my platynota.

Just keep shooting you will get the money eventuality shot shot shot shot

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
DeanS said:
Equipmentwise...you may have to go with a faster lens...I KNOW! I KNOW! They cost too much! I actually like my digital (Nikon D40X)...it isn't the most expensive kid on the block and of course you can shoot a thousand pictures and get rid of the 999 that suck! They make VR lens (vibration-free) and that helps, but not always! But look at the bright side...you can delete the pictures that you're not happy with and start all over with empty card space...it's not like blowing $6 on a roll of film then another $7 for processing only to find out they are all out-of-focus!;)

remember those days... it was always a surprise after developing a film back in the days

S

Scooter

I have a Canon PowerShot SX100, it takes some great pictures and has a feature that automatically accounts for shaking hands and helps stabilize it. The three rules DeanS posted are great, just keep shotting, eventually a nice one comes up. Even the pros take a ton more pictures than they need, just to make sure they get the good one.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
The most important thing I learned whilst studying photography is the rule of thirds.
Before you take your picture of your torts imagine your picture area being divided into thirds, both horizontally and vertically, the intersections of these imaginary lines give you four options in which to place your subject, (tortoise) for good composition.
Basically don't place them in the middle of the photo, right at the top or right at the bottom.
In both these photos my subject is in the bottom right third...
DSC00230-1.jpg

DSCF7212.jpg

Hope that helps :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
And what a lovely subject Esmerelda is! For the record...she was one of my nine votes for the calendar...GREAT shot...posed or not!

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Yourlocalpoet said:
The most important thing I learned whilst studying photography is the rule of thirds.
Before you take your picture of your torts imagine your picture area being divided into thirds, both horizontally and vertically, the intersections of these imaginary lines give you four options in which to place your subject, (tortoise) for good composition.
Basically don't place them in the middle of the photo, right at the top or right at the bottom.
In both these photos my subject is in the bottom right third...
DSC00230-1.jpg

DSCF7212.jpg

Hope that helps :)

Nice and Nice, tortoise and picture

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
omg Esmerelda!! Ok back on the subject, taking good or the right pictures is very situational... but its nice to have a fast camera as these guys can move without any warning and my personal favorite time to take pictures is when they are eating :D. The way I figure it, if it's digital photography its not like you have to pay for the film so take 5 or so pictures during a specific setting and then pick out what you like and dump the rest. Heck I had to do like 15 or so just for the two pictures of my leopards chomping down on their food. So cute... outdoors is a little easier since well there is usually plenty of lighting and it helps a lot not to mention.. nice scenery as some of the other forum members have. I have this small patch of grass outside :(

M

Maggie Cummings

sharkstar said:
I have issues with my digital camera. I see the pic I want and click the button............. and.............. snap! picture taken. usually when the pose is gone. persevere and keep what Dean said in mind. good advice.

teri

That is so true! It drives me nervous, because then the good shot is gone. Ask me about it...try to take a picture of Bob who is trying to get close and bite the camera. grrr! So I am on my butt scurrying to back away and he is coming on in attack mode... The jerk...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
There are some talented people with a camera in here

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
with some cameras you have to lightly push the button first.. hold it.. let it focus.. then shoot.. settings make a difference.. play with them a bit..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just take lots and lots of pics. I take them at different times of day, in different light, from different angles. Sometimes you just get lucky and capture the right moment.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I enjoy digital because now I can take 100 photos and not worry about wasting film. Of course some of the best photos are unplanned, and with today's tech we might not get some of those funny pics that people find unique because everyone wants the perfect shot, I use to work for savon in the photo dept a long time ago (when savon was actually around) I saw a lot of good photos, bad photos, and naked photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.