Phayrei in North Carolina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

natsamjosh

5 Year Member
Hello,

Just joined the forum since I would love to get a tortoise. I've always been a "snake guy", but I love turtles/torts as well. Anyway, still trying to figure out what the best choice would be for me, and from what I've read having an Asian Black Mountain Tortoise would be the ultimate. But I can't find the information I'm looking for regarding phayrei. (There's very little care information on the internet.) I live in central North Carolina, where the winters aren't too long, but it's not uncommon for temps to dip below freezing. I think I know the answer to the question, but I figured I'd ask it anyway - would it be possible to house them outdoors year round? If I could set something up in my garage for the winter months, what would be the minimum temps required for the tort to stay healthy? I could probably maintain an indoor setup for a baby tortoise, but looking ahead a few years down the road I'm not optimistic I'll have the space and/or family support to keep a larger tortoise in the house for the winter. This would be a lifelong commitment, so I need consider these types of things...

Anyway, thanks in advance for any replies/suggestions.

Thanks,
Ed

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi Ed

Welcome to TFO!

We've got a few snake guys/breeders here and Emy's keepers too. They might have better info for you. Preferably, you'd want to give your tortoise natural sunlight and outdoor grazing. You'd want to do some research on MVB's light bulbs. As far as heat...the more experienced keepers of that type of tortoise will soon chime in, I'm sure.

Thanks for Joining!

natsamjosh

5 Year Member
FernandoM said:
Hi Ed

Welcome to TFO!

We've got a few snake guys/breeders here and Emy's keepers too. They might have better info for you. Preferably, you'd want to give your tortoise natural sunlight and outdoor grazing. You'd want to do some research on MVB's light bulbs. As far as heat...the more experienced keepers of that type of tortoise will soon chime in, I'm sure.

Thanks for Joining!

Thanks Fernando!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ed:

I live in Central California and have breeding groups of Mep and Mee (that's the mountain and forest Manouria). They live outside all year, but they have a very well-insulated shed that they use during the winter. There is a vinyl strip door over each door, and the tortoises come and go as they wish. They are outside even on the coldest days.

The shed is built in a very shady spot under a mature mulberry tree. In portions of the out door area there is mottled sun, but mostly deep, deep shade. Occasionally I will see one of the tortoises sitting in a sun spot all spread out and enjoying the warmth, but mostly they avoid the sun. I've had one of them die from heat stroke. They really do need a lot of shade.

I can't remember where Glen lives, but it seems to me that he's in a colder climate. He has his own group of Mep. Here's an article that he co-authored with veterinarian Chris Tabaka:

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/PDFS/Burmese Mountain Tortoiseb.pdf

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Hello Ed, Welcome to the forum,You are a couple hundred miles south of me and I do it here.The first few years they are a little delicate, so indoors in cold weather is a must.I don't have the adults any longer but have yearlings to 4 years old of the mee and mep and one impressed, that I am raising.After they get big enough you very well could keep them outside year round with a heated shed,In the fall and early spring when the temps get cold at night but warm up during the day I would, (after they decided where they were going to spend the night), cover them with leaves to protect them and they would come out of the leaves when they felt like it the next day.I would do this when the temps were not going to go below 29- 30. When the cold weather really sets in is when they would use the shed, and they would come and go as they pleased. They are my tortoise of choice for colder climates and my favorite species of tortoises, But my favorite tortoise is Walker my sulcata, even he is outside most of the year but more work to keep warm. Len

natsamjosh

5 Year Member
Thanks to all for the information, I'm glad I posted here instead of just giving up hope. I have a backyard with plenty of shade, small shrubs and small trees, so I think the outdoor enclosure won't be any problem. One more question - once they reach a certain size, does their outdoor enclosure still need to be covered? I'm in a suburban area, have a fenced-in backyard, and have never seen a raccoon in the neighborhood. Obviously a covered pen would reduce the risk of nuisance animals bothering the tort, but once it gets to be a certain size, can it fend for itself? I'd love to provide large area for the tortoise to roam, but the larger the area, the more difficult it will be to cover.

Thanks again for nice welcome and all the information,
Ed

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I live in a somewhat rural area and there are fox, coyote, racoon, opossum, skunk and various types of hawk and crow. The only covered pens I have are for my baby box turtles and baby leopards. The only reason I have those two covered is because the box turtles are small enough for the cats to carry off, and the baby leopards are on the ground and the cats like to sleep in their habitat. My young Manouria is about 3, maybe 4 this summer and about the size of your palm including the fingers. I've never covered her. She's outside 24/7 this summer in the bottom of a garbage dumpster that's cut off and about a foot or so deep. Its up on a stand, and hard for the cats to jump into.

The Manouria habitat:
6-23-11babymanouria-1.jpg

6-23-11babymanouria-2.jpg

The baby leopard habitat:
6-23-11babyleopards-1.jpg

6-23-11babyleopards-2.jpg

The baby box turtles and Texas tortoise habitats:
6-23-11babyttandbabybox-1.jpg

6-23-11babyttandbabybox-3.jpg

6-23-11babyttandbabybox-2.jpg

You must do what you feel is safe for your babies and in your area. All of the creatures I've mentioned above are capable of carrying off a small tortoise.

natsamjosh

5 Year Member
Just wanted to thank everyone again for the input. As much as I want a Burmese Mountain tort, I don't think I have the time and energy right now to create the appropriate habitat. In a few years, after all the kids are in college or on their own, I will re-assess. But the good news is I'm still going to get a tortoise (Hermann's.) I've started construction on the pen, hope to have it done this weekend.

Thanks,
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.