Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
tortoiseeggs7-19-13_zpsa8234a49.jpg

If you look closely into the opening you can see a little face on the right side with its eyes closed.

There's another pip just above this one.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Awesome Yvonne. So great. I love seeing this. Hopefully more will hatch out for yah. Congrats. If I remember correctly and notice the super dark neonate these are blacks right? Any luck on your browns?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Will. I remember Yvonne saying her browns haven't nested or laid eggs for the past few years. So that being said with a grain of salt. I was merely seeing if they have presumed to nest and lay. Oh yes I am aware of great Yvonnes skills. You too. Call me sometime Will. Got some tort talk to do with yah.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Two in one clutch, your moving on up!! Hopefully the rest will follow suit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I put Phae's eggs in the incubator on May 13th, so about 66 days.

And no, the Mee haven't nested yet or for quite a few years...like about 15. I have a fully grown female and two juvenile females, and a little-older-than- juvenile male and two older than juvenile male intergrades all living in the same outdoor rain forest. I'm pretty sure the male is big enough to do the job, but I never see him covering the large female. However all the males do a lot of practicing on each other.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
How bigs mama? Wow 66 days isn't long at all always thought incubation on mep were longer? If you you don't mind me picking your brain, do you keep them at 84ish for 66 days like other reptiles?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Mep female that laid the eggs, Phae, weighs about 55lbs. According to my records, she hatched in '83.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
07-20-13a_zps700252d1.jpg

07-20-13_zpsc99d8b5e.jpg

These are the two that hatched. I wanted you to note the coloration of the eggs. They're a bit dirty, but if you'll notice the grayish band around the top section of the egg on the left. That's mold. The other egg has it too. I have to wash my Manouria eggs a couple times a week to keep the mold off them. I would have said, due to the color and the mold, that these eggs were no good. Just goes to show. And there is another pip this a.m. Both babies are out of their egg, however, my camera needs to be charged a bit before the pictures will load on the computer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's a look at the babies. One has a very large yolk still to be absorbed. You can see the new pip to the left:

07-20-13b_zps8ca6ed95.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a good question. If I knew the answer to that I might be able to hatch more eggs. Seems to me I remember Vic mentioning that he has that problem too.

Status
Not open for further replies.