Petco Reptile Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffinthetort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Today was the reptile rally at Petco, so I decided to take my little sulcatta Muffin. Everyone else brought snakes, although there were a couple bearded dragons and a leopard gecko.
Part of the reptile rally was a raddest reptile contest which Muffin won.
I was really proud of how outgoing Muffin was today. At first she just wanted to hide in her log, but after I held her for a bit and she snuggled into my hair she decided she would be sociable. There were three or four people that were curious about tortoises, so I got to talk to them about raising them humid and things such as that.
Did anybody else go to one of these today?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I've never heard of Petco doing that before...maybe just not in my area! That's a cool idea, though I personally wouldn't bring my tortoise, since he would be too traumatized.

That's great that you are able to educate folks on proper care, and your tortoise seems to handle the attention well :)

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I certainly went although I couldn't bring any of my reptiles, unfortunately. Only one person brought their reptile.. better than last year when no one came, haha, but she was a shoe in for the win!!

Muffinthetort

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Pokeymeg said:
I've never heard of Petco doing that before...maybe just not in my area! That's a cool idea, though I personally wouldn't bring my tortoise, since he would be too traumatized.

That's great that you are able to educate folks on proper care, and your tortoise seems to handle the attention well :)

The only part she didn't like too much was riding in the car, but since I made a little mini enclosure out of a laundry basket for her she was able to just hide under her log during the trip there. I think having a little place with grass, a hide, some mazuri mix, and a soaking bowl helped her make the trip.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I stopped by the one here. A friend had a red tegu, a caiman lizard and a giant male sulcata that was happily munching his Bermuda hay. I heard great advice being given. A lady stopped by and said she had a small tortoise that looked just like the big one, and her's ate romaine, strawberries and bananas. She was given great diet advice. This is the same Petco that I wrote a positive review for in the past.

Nice job Petco!

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
This makes me feel better as I just got a baby Russian from Petco and was a little disappointed in the care info. I have made a bunch of changes to his enclosures and a vet appt for him on Monday to ensure he is healthy :).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It should be noted that "your milage may vary", depending upon WHICH Petco you walk in to and on which day.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I work at Petco, and while we didn't have a great turn out, I got my baby during the half off sale. I've been eyeing this little one since we got him in about 2 months ago and have been lucky enough that there isn't a huge fan base for cresties in my area. Not sure what I would have done had someone else bought him first yesterday because we've really bonded :p thankfully I was in charge of sticking around the reptile area to help people, I could keep my eye on him, haha

In the pictures, Marigold is hanging out with my other juvenile crestie, Petunia.

(Oops, one picture posted twice, dang phone)

Attachments

• 1371396233843.jpg
    1371396233843.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 1371396462424.jpg
    1371396462424.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 1371396471804.jpg
    1371396471804.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 50

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Are they housed separately? Introducing crested geckos, especially ones with such a big size diff is risky and in the long run they usually have to be house seperataly unless you end up with F/F and that still doesn't always work out.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Re: RE: Petco Reptile Rally

theelectraco said:
Are they housed separately? Introducing crested geckos, especially ones with such a big size diff is risky and in the long run they usually have to be house seperataly unless you end up with F/F and that still doesn't always work out.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Oh yeah,definitely! They were together for the photoshoot and that was about it, haha.

Marigold is in his/her little ten gallon, wouldn't want him/her getting lost in the big terrarium anyway :p

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I won in 2011 with a Caramel RES, but lost last year to a kid with an iguana, haha. There was a huge turn out last year, and I couldn't go this year as I was on vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.