perfect diet

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Claireabbo

i was wondering what the perfect diet is for my russian tortoise. his name is frankie... :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In a perfect world, Frankie would be grazing on all the plants and weeds that grow wild in his home territory.

C

Claireabbo

emysemys said:
In a perfect world, Frankie would be grazing on all the plants and weeds that grow wild in his home territory.

very true! but i want to accomadate for his as best i can :)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Here is the thread I started on what steppe tortoises eat in their native Central Asia:

Article: steppe tortoise diet in the wild

"Based on this study, it looks like the only plants favored in both periods were in the daisy family. The other plants dominating the diet were buttercups, poppies, and Brassicaceae (cabbage family)."

Basically, although tortoises live in arid and semi-arid areas, they don't eat much grass or perennials. Their diet consists mostly of annual leafy greens, or weeds. A good way to simulate that in captivity is to offer plants like lettuce, collard, dandelion, mustard greens, kale, endive, and plantago. You can also offer them flowering plants like poppies and buttercups. Here is a good website on feeding Russian tortoises in captivity:

Russian tortoise diet

Status
Not open for further replies.