Penn plax tortoise palace?

Donatello

Hello i am new to the forum so i hope i am doing this right. I am buying a russian tort from my place of work. Before i bring him home i want to have a good tortoise table for him. Would the penn plax tortoise palace be good?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

That's a nice little habitat for a baby tortoise, but way too small for a Russian tortoise. They require quite a bit of room. Don't let his small size fool you. They are programmed to wander over a very large distance in search of food, and they just aren't satisfied being contained in a small indoor habitat. You can buy a used 5 shelf book case, remove the shelves, lay it on its back and line it a whole lot cheaper than the tortoise palace, and you'll end up with a much nicer and larger habitat for the tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Here is a russian care sheet with some enclosure recommendations:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html

I see that the Penn Plax one is 48x30". That's not bad for a baby, but I agree with Yvonne that something much larger will be needed for an adult. I recommend a minimum of 4x8' indoors. Its easy to screw some 2x12 sides to a sheet of plywood and make a big table. They should also have an outdoor enclosure for fair weather, and that is where I concentrate most of my efforts.

Donatello

Thank you. Will try the book shelf idea. I ve been doing lots and lots of reading on them. Just want to have the best enclosure for him and make him happy. I live in pennsylvania near pittsburgh so i will not be making a enclosure for him outside. But i will for sure let him soak up lots rays in the summer. I work at a pet store as a pet groomer. Fell in love with the little guy when i saw him. If i get all my work done early i give him nice little baths and put that stuff on his shell :D

Donatello

Thanks guys for all the info. I talked to my friend he is gonna build the table for me out of wood. We thought a screen wooden door would be perfect actually for the lid. Cant wait to go shopping for all this and spoil the little guy [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]