CanadaTorter

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada.
I have a yearling Egyptian tortoise who has recently begun to exhibit what I consider to be somewhat frightening behaviour. I will attach a photograph, but for lack of a better description, I worry that my animal may be prolapsing. This has only started in the last couple of weeks, with no measurable change in my husbandry. I am not concerned about constipation as my animal is still regularly passing both stool and urates (daily). The shape of the stool is still hard, uniform and shape, and maintains its consistency. The penis/prolapse only becomes visible during the initial moments of their daily warm soak, and is retracted without issue. Is this something that they do as they age, or should I be scheduling an appointment with my vet? IMG_4031.pngI will be seeing the vet come September for their biannual checkup, but if I need to move it forward, I will of course do so. Thanks for any advice.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have a yearling Egyptian tortoise who has recently begun to exhibit what I consider to be somewhat frightening behaviour. I will attach a photograph, but for lack of a better description, I worry that my animal may be prolapsing. This has only started in the last couple of weeks, with no measurable change in my husbandry. I am not concerned about constipation as my animal is still regularly passing both stool and urates (daily). The shape of the stool is still hard, uniform and shape, and maintains its consistency. The penis/prolapse only becomes visible during the initial moments of their daily warm soak, and is retracted without issue. Is this something that they do as they age, or should I be scheduling an appointment with my vet? View attachment 359293I will be seeing the vet come September for their biannual checkup, but if I need to move it forward, I will of course do so. Thanks for any advice.
Your tortoise is definitely a male and is everting his penis. No need to worry unless it doesn't retract and starts dragging on the substrate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's only called 'prolapse' if it won't/can't go back in.

Young males like to play with their penis when it's first discovered. They soon stop.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
It's only called 'prolapse' if it won't/can't go back in.

Young males like to play with their penis when it's first discovered. They soon stop.
Of all species, lol. Not so much on the stopping though...