peeing as a defense mechanism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pembroke Pines
Ok, lately everytime I pick rex up to take him outside or bring him back inside, he pee's on me, like alot of pee! Its insane! Tiki doesnt do it as much but also does it sometimes. On the other hand the pee is very clear! So my question is, is it because of the warmth in my hand or are they using it as a defense mechanism???

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They only pee on people that smell like tacos....it is really weird, there is this study that has shown the smell of tacos makes them scared....so weird....

LOL...sorry, could not stop myself...they will likely pee if they are startled...so check yourself when you are moving them...are you approaching them too quick (by tortoise opinion :D) and when you get to them do you swoop em up right off? and tortoise don't usually appreciate flying through the air being guided by these weird things (our hands) LOL ...and I am totally sure that these are the words they use...

So if I have to move my guys (except for the old man and the RFs) I have a individual blanket and basket that I use for them...from the house to their enclosure...and then they are there until the weather begins to get to cold...then they get moved back and forth each morning and evening....the old man and the RFs are not bothered by the "hands" moving them...and my other guy is just out the back door...so short travel...

When ever I am going to pick them up, I make sure that I am in their line of sight on my travel towards them, I slow down and crouch near them, then I touch them --slowly moving my hand towards them so not to cast a quick scary shadow...rub their shell a moment then low and slow pick em up....no sudden ninja moves or that will freak them out....LOL

:D:D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I usually have a large towel or a little "tortoise transportation" tub specifically for the purpose of carrying them outside to avoid any eliminations.

The key is having them on a firm surface where they feel secure. If you pick them up like you would a large cookie (using only thumb and index finger coming from above), then I can almost guarantee they'll pee everytime.

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
ShiningSnakes said:
I usually have a large towel or a little "tortoise transportation" tub specifically for the purpose of carrying them outside to avoid any eliminations.

The key is having them on a firm surface where they feel secure. If you pick them up like you would a large cookie (using only thumb and index finger coming from above), then I can almost guarantee they'll pee everytime.

I usually pick them up and hold them cupped inbetween both hands as I thought that would make them feel more secure. Maybe I should try some type of carrying tub.

ascott said:
They only pee on people that smell like tacos....it is really weird, there is this study that has shown the smell of tacos makes them scared....so weird....

LOL...sorry, could not stop myself...they will likely pee if they are startled...so check yourself when you are moving them...are you approaching them too quick (by tortoise opinion :D) and when you get to them do you swoop em up right off? and tortoise don't usually appreciate flying through the air being guided by these weird things (our hands) LOL ...and I am totally sure that these are the words they use...

So if I have to move my guys (except for the old man and the RFs) I have a individual blanket and basket that I use for them...from the house to their enclosure...and then they are there until the weather begins to get to cold...then they get moved back and forth each morning and evening....the old man and the RFs are not bothered by the "hands" moving them...and my other guy is just out the back door...so short travel...

When ever I am going to pick them up, I make sure that I am in their line of sight on my travel towards them, I slow down and crouch near them, then I touch them --slowly moving my hand towards them so not to cast a quick scary shadow...rub their shell a moment then low and slow pick em up....no sudden ninja moves or that will freak them out....LOL

:D:D

Hahaha this was an awesome response. No sudden ninja moves, got it!

M

Maggie Cummings

The advice from Angela is some of the best that I have read in a long time. I certainly will follow them...

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I wish tortoises could control their bowel systems like us humans. :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
control their bowel systems like us humans.

I think that Mary Anne may have something to say about part of your statement.....LOLOLOLOLOL now LMAO LMAO :p:p:p:p:p

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Or they could be afraid of heights. It might scare the p*** out of them...lol. Mine peed on me today. The 1st since I have had him. I was clear too. Now got some carpet to clean tomorrow. Well I need to clean it alot better then it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.