Pebbles[being a menace]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pebbles

5 Year Member
Sometime during the week pebbles started trying to climb his hut which I had never seen before. The older he gets the more active he is! I saw him climbing the hut and didn't think he'd actually be able to do it-he made it half way up and slipped! Here he is when he tumbled. He looked so cute I took a pic. No worries he is okay and the tank is now fall proof so he will not climb anymore. He just kinda waited for me to pick him right up! I worry all the time about him flipping over because of the hut. But I didn't want to get rid of it because he needs to hide somewhere from the heat. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? right now I have a plant blocking him from climbing.

34s1mbl.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Make Pebbles a humid hide box like this:
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-12542.html?highlight=humid+hide+boxes

The one with the red top is the one I'm using for my sulcata hatchlings right now. In your case, I wouldn't bury the whole box like in the second pic. Just bury it enough so that the inside substrate is level with the outside.

Then you can chuck the half log or save it for a lizard cage where you don't have to worry about flipping.

pebbles

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Make Pebbles a humid hide box like this:
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-12542.html?highlight=humid+hide+boxes

The one with the red top is the one I'm using for my sulcata hatchlings right now. In your case, I wouldn't bury the whole box like in the second pic. Just bury it enough so that the inside substrate is level with the outside.

Then you can chuck the half log or save it for a lizard cage where you don't have to worry about flipping.

I love this! thank you so much for that link. I'm gonna go make him one.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Since Pebbles is in a glass aquarium she may try to climb up the walls and flip, if that becomes an issue you can tape paper half way up on the outside and that should help. just a suggestion, when Christmas time comes around you can get one of those plastic tree storage totes.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I agree with missy you should definitely put something around the outside of the enclosure because he may just be trying to escape!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's about the cutest sulcata picture I've seen in a while. What a face! And that "helpless" look. Just precious!

pebbles

5 Year Member
franeich said:
What is the substrate you are using. Is it all dry sand.

Yes it is all dry sand right now. I want to go to Loew's to buy a pack of moss because I don't want him to have a problem with impaction. I'm happy to have found out this info on these forums!

As for the pic I know! He looks too cute. But poor baby haha he just waited for me to turn him up.

He hasn't thought about climbing the tank but if he does I think thats a great idea. Thank you.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
That's exactly what Eddie did and on that half log thingy too. I had to remove it and put in a plastic shoe box, but I do like Tom's idea too. :D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I recommend for hatchlings to only use safe hides that can't be climbed--fake plans up off the ground (they will try to climb draped leaves), hides with vertical sides like boxes or containers, or build substrate ramps up to the sides of the log and sink it into the substrate a bit (only if the tort doesn't jump off the front of it--which I've seen). Ideally you need a hide in the coolest area, one right next to the hottest basking spot, and one moderate one (such as next to the food).

With one hide, you run the risk of the tort staying there even if its too hot or cold because they will seek security over temperature or even food. A humid hide plus a moist substrate is really a necessity for a Sulcata to try and prevent pyramiding. Those first 6 months or so are the most important. If at all possibly I'd return the aquarium (or sell it on Craig's List) and get a larger and better plastic tub for a fraction of the cost. What kind of thermometer do you have and what is the temperature gradient like? I recommend a temp gun and you should be able to get a range from 75 to 95 in the enclosure.

The aquariums tend to not be able to get those lower temps as they become hot boxes (make sure it is not near a window or getting any sunlight as that makes it much much worse), torts tend to pace more or nose into the glass (putting up a barrier helps), and the taller ones can block good air circulation. In the long run the cheapest way to go is to build a tort table or get a very large plastic tub like a stock tank, and then block off half or whatever for now and increase the size as the tort grows--that way you don't have to upgrade containers yearly or whatever which many times is necessary due to fast captive growth. Is the Sulcata getting outdoor time? Although you may think you have now made the hide safe with the plant near it, in actuality, your tort may soon prove you wrong. Keep a very close eye on it as these creatures are very creative! What they can't do one day they can the next.

Love the picture!

Status
Not open for further replies.