Parsley good or bad for my R/F?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've read different info about parsley. I grow about 2/3rds of my tortoises diets and I recently added parsley and wild onion because I saw them on the approved foods list somewhere. Recently, I read that parsley shouldn't be given to red foots. Can anyone give me a definite answer? My red foots DO eat it. I have temporarily ceased the feedings mixed with Parsley until I clarify this. While I'm at it, how about eggplant leaves and flowers? Thank you!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
No eggplant leaves/flowers. They are toxic (the plant is in the nightshade family). I think you can give parsley but with a varied diet, I've never read anything saying the opposite :)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Although I cannot give you a definitive answer, my personal rule about any food for any of my pets is: When in doubt, leave it out. They get a good variety of other things.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
If your Reds' eat it .......
Highly nutritious....
A sprig of parsley can provide much more than a decoration on your plate. Parsley contains two types of unusual components that provide unique health benefits. The first type is volatile oil components—including myristicin, limonene, eugenol, and alpha-thujene. The second type is flavonoids—including apiin, apigenin, crisoeriol, and luteolin.
More info here : http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=100

JD~;)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
If your Reds' eat it .......
Highly nutritious....
A sprig of parsley can provide much more than a decoration on your plate. Parsley contains two types of unusual components that provide unique health benefits. The first type is volatile oil components—including myristicin, limonene, eugenol, and alpha-thujene. The second type is flavonoids—including apiin, apigenin, crisoeriol, and luteolin.
More info here : http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=100

JD~;)
You're so informative; I'm a little jealous :p another reason to always read the forums!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I didn't not know you couldn't feed eggplant leaves. Good to know. I've never fed mine that but was going to plant some soon

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
You're so informative; I'm a little jealous :p another reason to always read the forums!
And good folks and shelled freaks alike ....not too mention polite and the willingness to learn from " real experience" ....folks like yourself make the forum well worth it ....;)
thank you ~
:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As it is, now I know that I can use some, my tortoises have decided that they wont eat it, or the basil either unless I wrap it into some young Romaine leaves and then cut it up like sushi rolls.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The different herbs don't seem palatable to tortoises and most tortoises won't eat them.