Pancake update

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Took my pancake to the vet today and she said he is not good. This is my first experience with pancakes, and from what I read they are supposed to be somewhat soft - but my vet said he was very soft. So we started him on calcium and Baytril (for a runny nose.) I've been soaking him in the carrot mixture twice a day (my vet said V8 is good too.) She said I have a lot of work ahead of me with this guy. :(

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I wouldn't be surprised if your pancake's "softness" was normal. They are "very soft," especially for a tortoise. Unless it was a baby, I doubt you have anything to worry about with it being soft. I would imagine that very few vets have more than minimal experience with pancakes, and without seeing them on a regular basis, they wouldn't know what "too soft" versus "soft enough" really was. The tops and bottoms of them should be flexible (belly more than the top). It wouldn't take much pressure at all to "pop" them, which is normal, and is why they spend 98% of their lives hidden from predators.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I too would be very reluctant to start additional calcium, especially if an injection. I would treat the runny nose with Baytril, keep him warm 24X7 and soak him daily. Fix the runny nose and get him eating. Then make sure you dust his food with calcium a couple times a week. A healthy Pancake can be scary soft if you have never had one or held one. What is your Vet's experience with Pancakes? Have they ever held one of treated a Pancake before? They are not like any other tortoise.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
my pancake that I had over 20 years ago, was a WC adult and he was soft, and flexible,I would try and get someone who knows about pancakes before worrying.

tortoiseluvr

5 Year Member
I have to agree with everyone else that they have very soft shells and a vet that may not have a lot of experience with pancakes might not realize that is normal. I had the same issue with my vet when I brought in one of my pancakes with a separate problem and she was shocked by the softness of the shell and I had to explain to her that it was completely normal.

johanna

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
My pancake also has a soft shell belly. He is active, healthy, and eating great! My vet had no concerns about his shell.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
kimber_lee_314 said:
Took my pancake to the vet today and she said he is not good. This is my first experience with pancakes, and from what I read they are supposed to be somewhat soft - but my vet said he was very soft. So we started him on calcium and Baytril (for a runny nose.) I've been soaking him in the carrot mixture twice a day (my vet said V8 is good too.) She said I have a lot of work ahead of me with this guy. :(

I WENT THROUGH THIS TOO ,POOR TORT. MINE ARE FIND NOW. IT TOOK 3 MOS. DO YOU HAVE ANY CLOVER WHERE YOU ARE? HE LIKED IT. GOT HIM TO START EATING.

Status
Not open for further replies.