Pancake eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, CA
My pancake just laid an egg last night. This is my first. I know I need to take the egg out and incubate. I have been reading a lot since last night. But can anyone give me some pointers as to what I should be doing. And anything I need to watch out for. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Doug said:
My pancake just laid an egg last night. This is my first. I know I need to take the egg out and incubate. I have been reading a lot since last night. But can anyone give me some pointers as to what I should be doing. And anything I need to watch out for. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

Hi Doug,

It seems, mostly from my own POV, that the only debatable area for incubation of pancake eggs is whether the ought to have a diapause or not. I don't think they do, but all things considered a few weeks at a lower temp at the begininning of an incubation regiem should not damage or injure or cause to not develop an otherwise perfectly good egg.

Vermiculite at 1:1 by weight with water, or use the squeeze method. Wet the vermiculite a little at a time, when you squeeze some in one hand it should 'hold' it's shape, but not leak water from the squeeze.

Incubate at 86 to 87 F, and don't let the vermiculite dry out completely.

There are many good threads in the pancake section here in TFO that will offer this regiem or other close to it.

As Eric pointed out in one of these posts lately, don't fool around with the egg, it offers no benefit.

Many people use home made or store bought incubators. Hovabator (the $49 dollar model) works fine for a few eggs, and ca be found in most feed and grain outlets, reptile specialty stores and on-line.

Set it up and use a thermometer at the egg placement place in the incubator to see the temp. You might use one of the small dial humidity gauges to see the initial humidity (available at PetCo, etc. for about $8.00), and use that as your basis for any further water that might be appropriate to add to the vermiculite. I would suggest to not apply water directly to the egg if you do add some.

Pancake eggs hatch in as short as 75 days or so, but typically take 90 to 120 days. Even if you do everything perfect, do not despair if it does not hatch out. It may not be fertile, it may not be a 'doer', or 1000 other things.

Will

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Congratulations, hoping its fertile for you.
Good Luck

Doug

10 Year Member!
Ontario, CA
Thanks for the info Will. This would be my first ever. Definitely hope it'll be fertile :)

Status
Not open for further replies.