Pallet Enclosure!

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
I sometimes see people on the forum saying they don't have the finances to build large outdoor enclosures.

It's pretty simple. Go behind the store of bars, flooring, carpet stores etc, and collect your free lumber.

I myself have called ahead in the past. Some companies reuse the pallets, so it's best to check ahead so you aren't on the news for being, "The deranged Pallet Snatcher!"
20240211_160432.jpg
You simply pry the pallets apart, and get creative. I like to use the supports as my posts, put them a few feet in the ground, cut my bords to size then nail or screw them.
20240227_155909.jpg
I'm far from done, but my arm is killing me. I had to replace the pond liner, and I lift weights as well. I'm a one man show, but the projects must get done!
20240303_162843.jpg
I have to make the bottom escape proof and add more logs, plants, hides etc. Hope someone can find some inspiration. Typically lasts a few years. I like to use an eco friendly wood sealer as well.
20240313_185446.jpg

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
I sometimes see people on the forum saying they don't have the finances to build large outdoor enclosures.

It's pretty simple. Go behind the store of bars, flooring, carpet stores etc, and collect your free lumber.

I myself have called ahead in the past. Some companies reuse the pallets, so it's best to check ahead so you aren't on the news for being, "The deranged Pallet Snatcher!"
View attachment 367865
You simply pry the pallets apart, and get creative. I like to use the supports as my posts, put them a few feet in the ground, cut my bords to size then nail or screw them.
View attachment 367867
I'm far from done, but my arm is killing me. I had to replace the pond liner, and I lift weights as well. I'm a one man show, but the projects must get done!
View attachment 367868
I have to make the bottom escape proof and add more logs, plants, hides etc. Hope someone can find some inspiration. Typically lasts a few years. I like to use an eco friendly wood sealer as well.
View attachment 367869
Wow that's awesome! I've been collecting pallets too. I love them! You can do so much and like you said, it's free!

Can't wait to see the end result! (What am I saying....it's never ending lol). Keep us posted!

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
Also don’t forget about those sweet sales on the Lowe’s website! I recently paid under a 100$ and was able to build a 4x8 outside enclosure for my 1+yr old marginated tort :) I even built a lid double wrapped with chicken wire (I have lots of birds near me and other wild life that sketch me out)

And I was able to increase the height of his/her indoor enclosure to match the 18in uvb height recommendation by getting x8 of this reliabilt wood and snagged a 7/16 OSB plywood on sale for the lid :)

So much versatility though with pallets though! 100%

DoubleD1996!

Memphis

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Also don’t forget about those sweet sales on the Lowe’s website! I recently paid under a 100$ and was able to build a 4x8 outside enclosure for my 1+yr old marginated tort :) I even built a lid double wrapped with chicken wire (I have lots of birds near me and other wild life that sketch me out)

And I was able to increase the height of his/her indoor enclosure to match the 18in uvb height recommendation by getting x8 of this reliabilt wood and snagged a 7/16 OSB plywood on sale for the lid :)

So much versatility though with pallets though! 100%
Oh yeah. It's always a steal to catch ply wood on sale these days.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma

View attachment 367865
View attachment 367867
View attachment 367868
View attachment 367869
Very nice. Ive did some raised garden beds with old pallets in the past. Very easy to get if u look on craigslist u will see tons of ads for free pallets.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Have you built an enclosure like this before? How long did the wood last? If you let pallet wood touch the ground here in Florida it will have termites in a matter of weeks. Days even if its particularly rainy.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Have you built an enclosure like this before? How long did the wood last? If you let pallet wood touch the ground here in Florida it will have termites in a matter of weeks. Days even if its particularly rainy.
I have. It can last up to five years. For Florida, I'd recommend using quick create for the posts so they don't rot from the moisture.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I'm just envious that you were able to dig deeper than 2" with hitting rock.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
So I needed to reinforce the bottom of the enclosure to prevent digging. I had a gravel pile in my yard, but I used it all.

Was gonna use this strong conveyor belt. Same belts us see at the grocery stores and in factories. Stuffs thick and impossible to dig through, but an absolute pain to maneuver and cut.
20240317_121735.jpg
20240317_121738.jpg
Then I remembered some roofing shingles I had. All I had to do was simply lay them against the wall. Still have to screw them in, but I just cover them in dirt and the turtles usually ignore it.
20240317_121901.jpg

fluffybubble66

Holbeach uk
I'm just envious that you were able to dig deeper than 2" with hitting rock.
And have an acre to build something that big with a climate and environment that allows an outside enclosure. I'm in a very wet, cold agricultural part of the UK. If I left my little guy out in something like that he'd drown or be eaten alive by rats, fox, cats, badgers, herons. There is nothing around here a rat cannot get into!

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
And have an acre to build something that big with a climate and environment that allows an outside enclosure. I'm in a very wet, cold agricultural part of the UK. If I left my little guy out in something like that he'd drown or be eaten alive by rats, fox, cats, badgers, herons. There is nothing around here a rat cannot get into!
Rats are resilient. I rarely see them because of how man owls, oppossum, hawks and fox we have.

How is it during the summer. Maybe you can build something on a smaller scale with a mesh bottom and double mesh top. I know rats can figure anything out though so it would have to be like a tank.

fluffybubble66

Holbeach uk
Rats are resilient. I rarely see them because of how man owls, oppossum, hawks and fox we have.

How is it during the summer. Maybe you can build something on a smaller scale with a mesh bottom and double mesh top. I know rats can figure anything out though so it would have to be like a tank.
They are tenacious little things aren't they. I don't mind them, they were here before me so we have monitored day time jaunts in a pen and stay in an enclosure in the house at night and when unsupervised. You have to find what works for you. Loving everyone's pallet ideas though