Painting The Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bama boy

5 Year Member
We have built a wooden enclosure for our new little friend. Is there any problem with painting the inside of the enclosure????

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
All of my indoor enclosures are painted. Many of them have been in service for over 20 years and most have only been repainted once in that time. I use a good quality semi gloss alkyd enamel latex paint. Primer and then two coats of finish. Latex paint is water based so does not give of any harmful vapors. The enamel provides a hard durable finish and a semi gloss or gloss makes it easy to wipe clean.

I don't put animals in the enclosure for about three days allowing the paint time to fully cure.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
It depends on if your tort will claw at the paint or if it will chip. The paint is toxic to consume, but your torts may not be at risk depending on where you are painting. I used linoleum on the walls and floor of mine, then painted the ceiling and the outside.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
None of my tortoises have ever clawed any paint off. Latex doesn't chalk or flake off like older lead and oil based paints do. If you apply latex and it's coming off, you haven't prepared the surface correctly for the paint to adhere.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I paint all my enclosures - never had a problem with flaking except on the outside - due to the weather.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I just painted Dale's enclosure....two coats primer and two coats paint. I just let it dry outside for a few days until it didn't smell anymore. Of course for Dale we had to line it with plastic. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.