House Painting Fumes

HoneyBea23

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hi there! My fiancé and I just bought a house together and will begin painting the entire place shortly. How long should I wait for the entire home's paint fumes to dissipate before bringing my baby Hermann's into the place? Since its not just one wall being treated, I am wondering how many weeks should pass as a safe guideline for the tortoise's health and safety. Any further advice or information would be greatly appreciated as always!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Like most things there’s no simple answer. If i were you, id paint the room where your tort will be housed first. Open the windows, turn on a fan, let it all dry nicely. Then insert tort enclosure, shut the door & make sure there is good ventilation. Then go work on the other rooms.

Here’s an article i found that might help. Again. A lot depends on your ventilation & the type of paints involved.

➡➡ https://www.custommade.com/blog/off-gassing/

Good luck - happy painting

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Way too many variables for us to answer this. I would say when the fumes die down and you don't smell them too much, its probably safe. You could always go get a canary and let it tell you how the air quality is... :)

HoneyBea23

Ontario
Way too many variables for us to answer this. I would say when the fumes die down and you don't smell them too much, its probably safe. You could always go get a canary and let it tell you how the air quality is... :)

Hahaha yes I could, but my tortoise is already enough of a handful ;) I was thinking that there must be a general timeframe that is allotted for house painting -- I can't be the only person in the world painting a place with a pet tortoise. Hopefully, two weeks is enough time for the fumes to dissipate with open doors and windows -- and my fiancé and I will keep my Hermann's at my parent's home for that time frame. Thank you anyways for your post!

HoneyBea23

Ontario
Greetings. Like most things there’s no simple answer. If i were you, id paint the room where your tort will be housed first. Open the windows, turn on a fan, let it all dry nicely. Then insert tort enclosure, shut the door & make sure there is good ventilation. Then go work on the other rooms.

Here’s an article i found that might help. Again. A lot depends on your ventilation & the type of paints involved.

➡➡ https://www.custommade.com/blog/off-gassing/

Good luck - happy painting

Thank you also for your response! So my plan is to simply wait 2 weeks after painting to ensure that the fumes have properly dissipated and within that time frame, house my Hermann's at my parent's household -- so hopefully that will be more than enough time needed! I will also be sure to bookmark your link just in case I need to go back and reference it! Have a great day :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you also for your response! So my plan is to simply wait 2 weeks after painting to ensure that the fumes have properly dissipated and within that time frame, house my Hermann's at my parent's household -- so hopefully that will be more than enough time needed! I will also be sure to bookmark your link just in case I need to go back and reference it! Have a great day :)

Have fun with painting & with your new house.