Painted turtle question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashbelys

5 Year Member
How warm should my tank be? Currently, the water is about 75 degrees and I'm not entirely sure about the basking area. I do not have a heat lamp, but I do have a UVB lamp. It doesn't get very warm though. I also have a heater in the water, under the top layer of gravel, which is what heats the water. I also wrap the tank in a big towel to keep them warm at night. Is this sufficient or is there something else I should be doing?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
What species/subspecies is your painted turtle? It makes a difference. If you have a southern painted, it's a good idea to try to keep them warm, like you are, but the three subspecies of Chrysemys picta will do perfectly fine in chilly conditions. They actually freeze solid in the winter, so overnight lows are perfectly fine.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Both are very cold tolerant. In fact, most of the studies done into turtles' abilities to withstand cold temperatures have been done on Western Painted Turtles.

I have left mine in my basement over the winter with temps as low as 58 degrees, with no water heater and just a basic house bulb for basking heat.

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
You need to get a heat lamp, thats really important to help them thermoregulate their body temps, among other things for day time use.

If you have a water heater then the towel isn't necessary at night, it will maintain the water temperature. Id bump up the water temps to low 80s if their the hatchlings in the profile pic. Helps them grow and put on some strength.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Diamondbacks4Life said:
You need to get a heat lamp, thats really important to help them thermoregulate their body temps, among other things for day time use.

If you have a water heater then the towel isn't necessary at night, it will maintain the water temperature. Id bump up the water temps to low 80s if their the hatchlings in the profile pic. Helps them grow and put on some strength.

Thank you for picking up my slack on that. What I should have said is basking heat IS more important than water heat. Good stuff..

ashbelys

5 Year Member
What kinds of things, other than turtle pellets, should I feed them?

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Green Leaf lettuce, Red Leaf lettuce,Turnip greens (leaves only) all really good that can be fed to them everyday.

Alot of other veggies are good to feed every so often to vary their diet too. Easier just ask what you wanna try feeding them and we can say if its safe.

ashbelys

5 Year Member
Thanks!

Got the water temp up to 79 and put another light on the basking area for heat, btw
They are loving it

Status
Not open for further replies.