PAC-man frog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beaver Falls, Pa
Does anyone have one? I really want one. Are they cool pets? Easy care?

Could you keep one in the same enclosure as a tort? I think it would be cool to have like a complete ecosystem and they live in the same atmosphere.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes ,I have one they are easy to keep. I keep my frog in a 20 gal long tank . At 80 f. and 90/100 humidity at night I let the temp drop a bit like to 75 f. I got coconut chor and moss as a bedding . Have a live plant in the tank . And feed bugs like roaches,crickets ,pill bugs, and worms . I don't feed mice . Some do I think it makes them go to fast . So yes easy to keep just read up on them and let them grow nice and slow .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, they should not be house with a tortoise. Never had one, but think they very cute:)

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Re: RE: PAC-man frog

wellington said:
No, they should not be house with a tortoise. Never had one, but think they very cute:)

Y not????

And thanks. I have a ten gallon set up. Two pothos a small shallow water dish, and coco fiber mixed with S moss. Humidity is about 80 and my day temps are around 88, night low 70's. Don't have him yet just set up. I was told live plants help keep it clean and give fresher air, plus they keep humidity up. Im excited. I want a male though, they stay smaller.

What do you mean mice make them go faster?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Diseases could be past between the two, that the other would normally never have encountered otherwise, so no immunities could possibly be built up to fight it. Also, your tort could not only might try to take a bite out of him, but could also crush him.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: PAC-man frog

Blgreek08 said:
wellington said:

Y not????

And thanks. I have a ten gallon set up. Two pothos a small shallow water dish, and coco fiber mixed with S moss. Humidity is about 80 and my day temps are around 88, night low 70's. Don't have him yet just set up. I was told live plants help keep it clean and give fresher air, plus they keep humidity up. Im excited. I want a male though, they stay smaller.

What do you mean mice make them go faster?

My bad I ment to say grow faster. And like others said do not keep with torts. These frogs like to sit in one spot and torts like to eat frogs. Remember these frogs are nocturnal and torts are up hunting when these guys are sleeping .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Plus all amphibians have some degree of skin toxicity. And pacman frogs will leave large turds around that the tortoises will likely want to eat.

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Blgreek08 said:
Does anyone have one? I really want one. Are they cool pets? Easy care?

Could you keep one in the same enclosure as a tort? I think it would be cool to have like a complete ecosystem and they live in the same atmosphere.

I used to breed them but only have a couple now.

I agree with most of what mike had to say other than the moss. Pacmans tend to take in quite a bit of substrate when eating so if you want moss, try feeding in a separate container. For temp I keep them at 82-86 and let the temp drop to mid 70s at night. For food I mainly use night crawlers (you can cut off appropriate chunks off of the worm starting from the tail end), Dubia roaches, and sometimes crickets. Do not just feed them crickets as it doesn't have much nutritional value even when gut loaded. I use calcium w/ D3 every other day and use multivitamins once a week on a day without calcium. Do not use any UV light with them, especially the albinos. Also I believe it is important to cover three sides of the enclosure to make the frog feel more safe. I never feed them live rodents as it is too fattening and they can physically harm the frog (scratching/biting). I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty of stuff as I'm exhausted. They really aren't as easy to keep healthy like most are making it seem. Dumpy frogs or whites tree frogs are in my opinion easy frogs to keep. And I would never keep any frogs with my tortoises in the same enclosure, that's just asking for trouble.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379218969.863273.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1379218996.175529.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
A bark hide, 2 live pothos, a fake plant, a water dish, and a dish for worms. How's it look?

Attachments

• 1379264339511.jpg
    1379264339511.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 97

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
What worms are you planning to feed? Earthworms/night crawlers are the only worms I would recommend feeding on a regular basis.
Wax worms are pretty fatty and should be used as a treat. Meal worms or super worms are hard for them to digest because of all that hard keratin.

Also cover the back and sides of the tank with some type of background or cardboard etc..

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Night crawlers and crickets.

Also I moved the heat pad to the back on the side. Not under the tank. I'll have to get a background

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Also to help with humidity you can cover 3/4 of the top with plexiglass, foil, or plastic wrap. Don't be surprise if your pacman diggs out your plants

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I had a pacman as a teen. She lived with me seven years and weighed almost a full pound when she reached maturity. She was big and round and would try to eat my hand everyday at feeding time lol
I fed worm and mice and minnows to mine, but I didn't know much more than what the store told me, so lord knows I was probably abusing the poor thing.
I did really enjoy her, and named her Jemima. My ex thought me nuts cause I cried for days when she died.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Top is already covered in plastic wrap :D I thought of that right away.
Is it ok to keep it at a constant temp of 80 or so? The only thing heating it is the heat pad and I have it on a thermostat.

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Sh3wulf said:
I had a pacman as a teen. She lived with me seven years and weighed almost a full pound when she reached maturity. She was big and round and would try to eat my hand everyday at feeding time lol
I fed worm and mice and minnows to mine, but I didn't know much more than what the store told me, so lord knows I was probably abusing the poor thing.
I did really enjoy her, and named her Jemima. My ex thought me nuts cause I cried for days when she died.

You should have slapped you ex...
The frog was apart of your life for 7 years of course you would be upset

Blgreek08 said:
Top is already covered in plastic wrap :D I thought of that right away.
Is it ok to keep it at a constant temp of 80 or so? The only thing heating it is the heat pad and I have it on a thermostat.

If you can get it to drop a few degrees for night time that would be optimal

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
1379383844301.jpg
Does he look healthy...I was thinking about ordering one but I decided to rescue him from Petsmart even if he doesn't survive at least he can be happy now. They were feeding him crickets and some kind of worm. My Petsmart isn't to bad they actually try to do it properly and fix things when you suggest it.
1379384034861.jpg
I thought he looked good actually for a Petsmart save.
He even popped and it looked healthy

Attachments

• 1379385040660.jpg
    1379385040660.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 1379385051483.jpg
    1379385051483.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 1379385057747.jpg
    1379385057747.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:

dds7155

5 Year Member
How long do they live? also what do they cost,I'm just asking ,, i'll never get one .can not touch a roach of any kind or mice

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Lookin good :) you got him before any real damage could have been done, didn't you say they got him in a couple days ago?
If you don't mind feeding roaches order like 20-50 small Dubias for the little guy and see if he'll eat em. Also use tongs to feed him the pieces of night crawler

dds7155 said:
How long do they live? also what do they cost,I'm just asking ,, i'll never get one .can not touch a roach of any kind or mice

I never feed them mice and you don't have to feed then roaches... Even though they're similar to crickets. Can you handle feeding earthworms/night crawlers?

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Now that you have seen his size and can see him buried in this Pic. Is this a good size cage?

Attachments

• 1379437940589.jpg
    1379437940589.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 39

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
As long as he has no problem getting food and doesn't seem stressed out the tank should be fine, just big for now. If you ended up with a female the tank will probably be too small for an adult

Status
Not open for further replies.