OVERWHELMED!!

Kylee L.

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, FL
I have been reading myself to death about what to do work a baby Russian tortise! Do they need humidity or no? do I keep them in a plastic storage container or something larger for them to roam? is their substrate supposed to be moist or dry? PLEASE HELP! I thought we were ready to bring him home and now I'm not sure we're even close

Last edited by a moderator:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have been reading myself to death about what to do work a baby Russian tortise! Do they need humidity or no? do I keep them in a plastic storage container or something larger for them to roam? is their substitute supposed to be moist or dry? PLEASE HELP! I thought we were ready to bring him home and now I'm not sure we're even close
Hello and welcome. I have an older Russian so I don't want to give you advice on baby care. But you did come to the right site for the advice you'll need. Hang in there. Post some pictures of your baby and habitat. That will help the members give you better advice.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Hello and welcome. I have an older Russian so I don't want to give you advice on baby care. But you did come to the right site for the advice you'll need. Hang in there. Post some pictures of your baby and habitat. That will help the members give you better advice.
thank you! I couldn't be happier with this site! everyone is so nice and the database is amazing! still building his habitat and will have him within a month or so. I was sent a link by another member that really simplified how to get started, I suppose I can go from overwhelmed to excited :)! thank you again for your help

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
thank you! I couldn't be happier with this site! everyone is so nice and the database is amazing! still building his habitat and will have him within a month or so. I was sent a link by another member that really simplified how to get started, I suppose I can go from overwhelmed to excited :)! thank you again for your help
I'm just glad I could do some moral support. It looks like you have a little bit of time to set up exactly what you need and not waste your time and effort on stuff that won't work. Best wishes.

dmilam

North Texas
I have been reading myself to death about what to do work a baby Russian tortise! Do they need humidity or no? do I keep them in a plastic storage container or something larger for them to roam? is their substitute supposed to be moist or dry? PLEASE HELP! I thought we were ready to bring him home and now I'm not sure we're even close

I’ve had snakes and lizards but never had a tortoise. I started researching back in March. I narrowed it down to Russian, Greek, Hermanns or Egyptian. I chose to look for someone trying to rehome, rather than purchase from a pet store or herp show. Over the past three months I started assembling my enclosure and programming everything to provide the correct environment. All the while watching different places for the perfect tortoise. A week ago, someone listed a Hermanns hatchling. I bought it and brought it home. Turns out, it’s actually a Greek.

Was I worried, was it a little overwhelming, yep. I had care sheets from other places and they were a little different but the basics were the same. That’s what I have focused on. Basic housing, basic care, basic temps, basic humidity, basic food. While I may not be feeding her the most exotic things or providing the most exotic enclosure, I am providing her with the correct staples.

In a past week I’ve learned I need to replace my UVB light (curly fluorescent). I also need to find more places to gather weeds.

As nervous as I was, in the week I’ve had my little tortoise, she’s already worked herself into a routine. She comes out when the lights come on. Once she warms up, she eats and basks. In the afternoon, she will either sleep under the spot or retreat to her hide. Afternoon, she forages and in the evening when the lights go out, she retreats to one of her hides and burrows in for the night.

Don’t let it overwhelm you. Start with the basics and follow the care sheets. You don’t have to provide every single food option available. You don’t have to provide the most advanced enclosure for temps and humidity. Just start with the basics and expand from there.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
In addition to the care sheet already provided above, here's a link to my website that describes in detail how I care for my hatchlings, including all the items that I use. There are also tutorials to build your own humid hide and tortoise table. I am raising baby Greeks and baby Russians. The Russian babies need 80% humidity like the Ibera Greeks.

https://sweetgreektorts.com/hatchling-husbandry

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I’ve had snakes and lizards but never had a tortoise. I started researching back in March. I narrowed it down to Russian, Greek, Hermanns or Egyptian. I chose to look for someone trying to rehome, rather than purchase from a pet store or herp show. Over the past three months I started assembling my enclosure and programming everything to provide the correct environment. All the while watching different places for the perfect tortoise. A week ago, someone listed a Hermanns hatchling. I bought it and brought it home. Turns out, it’s actually a Greek.

Was I worried, was it a little overwhelming, yep. I had care sheets from other places and they were a little different but the basics were the same. That’s what I have focused on. Basic housing, basic care, basic temps, basic humidity, basic food. While I may not be feeding her the most exotic things or providing the most exotic enclosure, I am providing her with the correct staples.

In a past week I’ve learned I need to replace my UVB light (curly fluorescent). I also need to find more places to gather weeds.

As nervous as I was, in the week I’ve had my little tortoise, she’s already worked herself into a routine. She comes out when the lights come on. Once she warms up, she eats and basks. In the afternoon, she will either sleep under the spot or retreat to her hide. Afternoon, she forages and in the evening when the lights go out, she retreats to one of her hides and burrows in for the night.

Don’t let it overwhelm you. Start with the basics and follow the care sheets. You don’t have to provide every single food option available. You don’t have to provide the most advanced enclosure for temps and humidity. Just start with the basics and expand from there.
Agreed! I'm going to start with the basics and add on gradually. I did start picking up edible perennials that are on clearance and some packs of annual seeds to start a tortoise garden. I might be a bit ambitious but is rather be safe that sorry from pesticides. I did get some ideas like a light timer that I woulds have never thought of, something that simply will come in very handy!

dmilam

North Texas
Agreed! I'm going to start with the basics and add on gradually. I did start picking up edible perennials that are on clearance and some packs of annual seeds to start a tortoise garden. I might be a bit ambitious but is rather be safe that sorry from pesticides. I did get some ideas like a light timer that I woulds have never thought of, something that simply will come in very handy!

I bought two inkbird temperature-humidity loggers. I put one on the cool end and one on the warm end. I can see exactly what’s going on in the enclosure at any given time. It connects over Bluetooth and I have an app on my phone. It gives me peace of mind.

IMG_0924.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Definition of "The Basics", anyone? I would think Size and type of enclosure, Diet, Substrate, Light, Temperatures and Humidity level.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Definition of "The Basics", anyone? I would think Size and type of enclosure, Diet, Substrate, Light, Temperatures and Humidity level.
I'm thinking that's what they mean...idk or I would say lol I'm new to all of this myself... I'm not breeding or raising multiples sp I'm hoping all that high tech stuff doesn't apply to me

dmilam

North Texas

I chose the word basic, you could use standard. Whatever you prefer. My point is, when you start researching, there are different opinions on what’s best. If you look at the tortoise table app, there are 800 different listings. Instead of trying to figure out the tortoise app. Start with the list that Tom posted. Focus on things that are available. Substrate, enclosure, temperature and humidity same principle. Use the care sheets created by the experienced keepers... Learn and replicate. It doesn’t take long to recognize who the experienced people are.

For me, this is my first tortoise... i want to make sure it outlives me...

unfortunately, one of the things I’ve learned here is there are people who keep tortoises that don’t provide what’s best for the tortoise... I don’t want to be one of those people... if I can’t do it right, I’m not doing it at all...

dmilam

North Texas
Agreed you have created and ruled your own mini world. You are now feeling the pressure of ruling your tortoise empire! BTW I gotta get me some of the Inkbirds!

I wish I would have had these 30 years ago when I was breeding snakes. I leave them in the enclosure. One under the basking light. One in her cool end hide. This is the current environment in my tortoise enclosure. IMG_1565065374.413536.jpg

I can check it anytime I want. Get the ones that use the AA batteries and come with a probe. They’re $29 on amazon. The app is named Engbird.... no idea why it’s different... serious peace of mind that the environment is right...