Over Growen beak & nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I have a friend that has a box turtle and he said it had really long nails and over grown beak. Does anyone know a good web site that I can print off for him telling him how to trim the beak and nails? I told him to put a cuttlebone in with him and feed him off a piece of slate any other idea's on preventing this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The first time your friend has the beak and nails trimmed, they need to have it done by a vet. At that time, the vet can show your friend how to do it if it needs to be done again in the future. Its not difficult, however, if you've never done it before there's a lot that could go wrong.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You don't need hard things in the diet to wear down the beak and nails. You just need to be feeding the proper diet, which will keep the beak and nails from growing faster than they should.

Danny

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Thanks for the info. I don't know that he will take it to the vet as times are hard right now but I will let him know that's what he should do. Is there a link to a easy care sheet. He said it has some yellow on it's shell so I'm guessing a Ornate. What is the main thing missing in the diet to cause the over growing? Thanks for the help

chadk

10 Year Member!
http://aboxturtle.com/

I trimmed my torts beak and nails. Not that hard - other than catching and HOLDING the head from going back in... Just don't want to do it too much. I used a nail clippers + emmery board.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Thanks Chad, I will print off the diet sheet for him maybe that will help. I wouldn't want to try and hold on to there little head while there sucking it in! It did say the beak over grow's from eating two much soft food so maybe the cuttlebone will help if he will bite it.

chadk

10 Year Member!
If it is already overgrown, you won't really be able to fix it without a trim. cuttlebone and things only help maintain, but not really fix...

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
I will tell him he should take it to the vet to get trimmed; not sure he can for now. I don't want to suggest he do it himself. Hopefully we can help this little guy.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Agreed to have a vet do it the first time and watch and get instructions for future times (hopefully not needed though with proper prevention, unless it is a bad case and the vet can only do part of the trim the first time).

egyptiandan said:
You don't need hard things in the diet to wear down the beak and nails. You just need to be feeding the proper diet, which will keep the beak and nails from growing faster than they should.

Danny

Can you elaborate on this? I had always heard that simulating the wild conditions such as feeding on a slate tile and having some rocks to climb on will naturally wear down the beak and nails. I have never heard about feeding a certain diet such that you won't need heard surfaces. What are you referring to specifically that keeps beaks and nails from growing too fast? Thanks! Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.