Outside temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
Hello All,
I have been super busy but I finally found enough time to build a secure enclosure for my little cherry head. The only thing I have an issure with is the temperature. Because I live in Florida the highs have been in the lower and mid 90's. Is that an acceptable temperature for a yearling RF? The enclosure is in an area with a large amount of shade so I am not worried about direct sunlight being a problem. I will post some pics of her enclosure in a day or two. All suggestions are appreciated!!

John

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
With plenty of shade, a wading pool, and a hide 90's aren't a problem.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
We are also in Florida, there is shade and then there is shade. Our sub enclosure has plenty of plant shade, but under that we put the half pots so they can really be shielded from the heat. We also wet down the whole enclosure and the subs to cool them down in the afternoon. It is HOT and dry in Florida right now. The main concern is the heat. As long as they have easy access to water and you wet him down he should be fine.

Allegra

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
The weather has been in the high 90's here too for the last few days. I was a little concerned myself, but my Cherry Head seems to be enjoying it. He sits in the stream for quite a while in the sun, and then will go sit under a hosta. I usually bring him in at night, but I've been leaving him outside with this warm weather.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Ideally, you want layers of shade. Imagine parking your car on a hot day. The roof provides shade, but it is very hot shade. However, parking under an awning makes your car cooler because the air circulates between the layers. Shade by live plants is even better because of the cooling effect of the leaves.

There is also the fact that heat rises. You would probably be pleasantly surprised by how cool it really is in some of the microclimates of a well-planted and variable habitat.

Another point is that the Cherry-head is more heat and cold resistant than other Red-foots, and things are even better.

I WOULD make sure he has access to a nice soaking pool.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Thanks for the advice all of you have given me! I will post some pictures of the enclosure once I have it planted the way I want and I will be expecting your critique!!

Thanks again!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.