Outside Enclosure project started

Kirin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chino, CA
Here is the space where Sheldins new outside home will be.

I was thinking about putting in a little pond area for her but I am concerned about mosquitos. Does anyone else have a problem with this? I will post pics as I go.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm living in the California, not much of mosquitoes problem. I have standing water in the yard all the time. But this is CA.

Please keep posting the progress of this outdoor enclosure, Love to see how it end with. Thank you for sharing it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a water trough that I keep when I occasionally get rescued water turtles. It's just water and a brick - no substrate for ease of cleaning. I leave the water in the tub for a week, and by the end of the week its pretty dirty/green. This past week, when I changed the water I noticed that there were little mosquito wigglers in there. I also live in California.

I have little cement depressions in the ground for my box turtles and I've never seen mosquito larvae in their water.

If you plan to change the water in the pond, you shouldn't have to worry about it. If you don't plan on water changes, then you can get some mosquito fish from the Mosquito Abatement District. They're free.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
Done for the Day! Here is what I have done so far.

Tomorrow I will build the lid, some plants and water.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've got a good start. Looks great.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Done for the Day! Here is what I have done so far.

Tomorrow I will build the lid, some plants and water.

What kind of tortoise you have in mind for this new enclosure?? Did you do anything to preventing them from digging under the wall and may escape?

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
I have a leopard, she is a 1 1/2 year and 4 1/2 inches long. she doesnt really dig, but i did sink the board down some. so i will see how she is in there before i just leave her alone. if she does escape she will still be in my brick planter, so she will not get to far. it is a full brick wall around my house so she will never be able to escape from my yard.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
So today we made the lid for her pen. Now I need to put plants in it.

Planting will be tomorrow.