outdoor temp

longmire19

We put our RT out daily and bring him in at night. Recently our daytime temps have been dipping into the mid to low 70s. Is it still okay to put him outside?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes. As long as the sun is out, I put mine out and even my leopards. It's usually a lot warmer if they lay in the sun. A flat rock for,them to bask on will also give them an eve warmer spot. I will also use a temp gun so I can shoot the temp at their level and in different spots of the enclosure so I know they have warmed spots to go if needed.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Today in sunny SoCal it was104 in the shade but in the sun, it was 125! As stated above, just double check the temps at the tort's level.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Please read the different care sheets and "Beginners' Thread."

Would you please post pics of your tort and its enclosure?

longmire19

Yes. As long as the sun is out, I put mine out and even my leopards. It's usually a lot warmer if they lay in the sun. A flat rock for,them to bask on will also give them an eve warmer spot. I will also use a temp gun so I can shoot the temp at their level and in different spots of the enclosure so I know they have warmed spots to go if needed.
Thanks! We want to allow him as much outdoor time as possible for as long as possible. We don't have a temp gun, but it is next on our to get list.

longmire19

A very warm welcome to the forum.

Please read the different care sheets and "Beginners' Thread."

Would you please post pics of your tort and its enclosure?

Thanks! My plan is to keep reading and keep learning. Unfortunately, technology is not my friend; so, until I corner one of my sons for tech support, pictures may be a long time coming.