Outdoor Substrate for Sulcata hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittrt10

5 Year Member
Hello! I just bought some soil for my outdoor enclosure for my sulcata hatchling. It is 100% organic/natural, but I was wondering if someone could tell me if it is safe. These are the ingrediants:
75-85% Canadian Sphognum peat moss
Horitcultural grade perlite,
Dolomite lime
Organic wetting agent (yucca extract).

I kept the receipt just in case. Thank you!!!

brittrt10

5 Year Member
I actually took the bag back right after I posted. I used the search function (not sure why I didn't before creating a thread!) I ended up with some organic nothing added soil from Home Depot. I planted grass seed, petunias, pansy, parsley, and some red lettuce. I have sprouts.... but am a horrible gardners so I just mixed it all the seeds together and threw them in. I mixed the soil up and was just hoping something would grow!

The little one arrived today safe and sound and beautiful. He (gonna be a he for now) is trying to find his way out of his humid hide. I made the hide just like Tom's thread. Does it need to be covered or painted black? it's just a clear tupperware that he can see out of and he's kind of missing the hole.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
It should all grow fairly quickly. That is a good mix of plants for him.

I dont use clear tubs for my humid hides. I use color ones and they work well so using something like a sharpie should do well in covering up yours.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The perlite is NOT safe and could cause an impaction. For some reason, they like to eat it too. I don't like the dlomite lime or wetting agent either. Don't know know what those will or won't do.

brittrt10

5 Year Member
Thank you! I did take the first bag back. I do have a question about the humid hide. I put him in there for the night, but he just walks out (after he finds the door) and keeps walking over to a rock to lay next to. Should I block him in the humid hide? I really dont want him to dehydrate overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.