Outdoor security for torts

FortTort68

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I just installed a Black And Decker Solar Powered motion detector Sprinkler system. This is along with solar powered Alarm sirens and lights. Security Cameras with alarms and phone alerts. New locking gates Fences at 6ft for most of the yard( have a 5 ft section that's wrapped around with hardware cloth along the bottom on the inside deer plastic fencing on the other side. it's outside the pen but helps keep out rabbits and smaller mammals out , and I just installed a Black And Decker Solar Powered motion detector Sprinkler system. This is along with solar powered Alarm sirens and lights. Security Cameras with alarms and phone alerts. New locking gates Fences at 6ft for most of the yard( have a 5 ft section that's wrapped around with hardware cloth along the bottom on the inside deer plastic fencing on the other side. it's outside the pen but helps keep out rabbits and smaller mammals out , and IMG20220723193838.jpgIMG20220723194740.jpgIMG20220723194802.jpgBuried lock boxes with pad locks for the torts in summer when they spend 24/7 outside..I always put them away from the night in a lock box 30 minutes before dusk. They know the time and head for their boxes on their own around the same time.. I'm sure the neighbors cat and our local raccoons will still try and raid but bit by bit it's becoming more and more trouble for them ( and that cat shouldn't be allowed out without supervision, I love cats but that's a bad neighbor) IMG20220723194740.jpgIMG20220723194802.jpg

FortTort68

Michigan
Trying to edit but don't see where I can. Was called out on a EBT rescue as I was posting and posted the same paragraph twice ha. This Boxie is missing a leg looks like a raccoon and it's an older wound but he was hanging around a busy restaurant patio . I cleaned the wood and soaked him. Will give hime over night I'm th sick tank and release him in the AM. There are some woods directly behind the restaurant and a very wide very fast moving river in front of it. So since I don't know what direction he came from ( male for sure) I will put him back over the chain link fence surrounding the woods in the morning. Wish him luck folks it's natures turn tomorrow

FortTort68

Michigan
IMG_6137.jpg
Trying to edit but don't see where I can. Was called out on a EBT rescue as I was posting and posted the same paragraph twice ha. This Boxie is missing a leg looks like a raccoon and it's an older wound but he was hanging around a busy restaurant patio . I cleaned the wood and soaked him. Will give hime over night I'm th sick tank and release him in the AM. There are some woods directly behind the restaurant and a very wide very fast moving river in front of it. So since I don't know what direction he came from ( male for sure) I will put him back over the chain link fence surrounding the woods in the morning. Wish him luck folks it's natures turn tomorrow
This editing system is the pits ha I'm known for typos amongst my friends. Hard to correct them when it's limited time only. Anyway....
"Trying to edit but don't see where I can. Was called out on a EBT rescue as I was posting and posted the same paragraph twice ha. This Boxie is missing a leg looks like a raccoon victim and it's an older wound that's starting to heal over. Since he was hanging around a busy restaurant patio this evening I got a call from a local who knows we do rescues . I cleaned the wound then soaked him after words medicated the wound. I Will give him over night in the sick tank and release him in the AM. There are some woods directly behind the restaurant and a very wide very fast moving river in front of it. So since I don't know what direction he came from ( male for sure) I will put him back over the chain link fence surrounding the woods in the morning. Wish him luck folks it's natures turn tomorrow

FortTort68

Michigan
Yes they are. I know it says new member but I've been here on and off quite a long time on other accounts , so I do understand your need to ask. But rest assured this isn't something new for me. It's been literally over 40 years of this on my end ;) ThanksScreenshot_2022-07-24-15-29-53-06_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg

Last edited:

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Yes they are. I know it says new member but I've been here on and off quite a long time on other accounts , so I do understand your need to ask. But rest assured this isn't something new for me. It's been literally over 40 years of this on my end ;) ThanksView attachment 347761
really has nothing to do with how long you did this , has to do with whether you've looked into it or not , ebt are from michigan , just not most of it .................folks who been doing this a long time will tell you blanding's come from ohio , they are limited to maybe 3 counties , 1 or 2 river systems .... wood turtles 1 county ...... spotted turtles maybe 3 counties , there are like 50 counties in ohio ......... i can tell you the map you put up is way generous for their current range of ebt in michigan ............ some of thos counties haven't seen a box turtle since the 1970's ................ didn't mean to offend you , your box turtle pic gives the impression of an abnormal beak , his color is also more common south and east ..... in ohio the only place you'll see a box turtle with that kind of color is southeast border of ohio/west virginia