Outdoor Russian Tortoise enclose project

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, CA
I really like it when you all post your Projects and Ideas with photos and details so I figure I should do the same.

After 3 years of thinking we would re-home our Russian tortoise I adopted from a family whose dog had mauled him (thread about that) our family has decided we cannot re-home him and will keep him for life.

So I have now been working on his outdoor enclosure. He has been in a 4’x4’ area I used to use for baby Sulcata’s to have day play. With the remodel, I left the same 4’x4’ area and more than doubled it and am now trying to make his area interesting and enjoyable for him.

My first thing I made was a cement tunnel/shelter to be buried under the dirt and have planting seeds on top of it.

Here is the 94lb. Mortar/cement I bought from Home depot for $5.97

IMG_0418_wb.jpg

I wanted the tunnel to be a boomerang shape with an area in the middle that was bigger. I measured with a piece of string were I wanted to put it and then got a piece of plywood, sharpe pen and layed the string down too draw the outline of what I wanted.

IMG_0413wb.jpg

I than made a form using plain dirt from the garden . It needs to be just a little moist so it will hold itself together to form the shape you want the inside to be.

IMG_0415wp.jpg

Now I mixed the Mortar/cement to a cake icing / tooth paste consistency. You must be able to make a cement ball and then break it half or pile it up and have it hold its shape. If you added to much water you need to had more Motar/cement. I add a little water at a time until it is correct.

IMG_0419wp.jpg

Once the mortar/cement was mixed, with my hand (I used rubber gloves) I took a hand full of motar and started at the bottom and put it on the form to what ever thinkness I wanted. I made mine about 2-3” think.

IMG_0421wp.jpg

After I completed the base I move upward and completely cover the entire dirt form. I used about 2/3 of the 94lb. bag of mortar.

IMG_0425wp.jpg

The entire project took about 1 hour to make. I then let it dry for 24 hours and then turned it over to take out the dirt I used as the form.

IMG_0433wp.jpg

I then dug a hole the shape of the tunnel/shelter and then back filled it with extra small ground cover bark and loose soil so it would be easy for him to dig in if he wanted to.

IMG_0435wp.jpg

I then placed the tunnel/shelter and the cover it with dirt.

IMG_0437wp.jpg

I have since planted seeds all over the top and the seeds are just starting to sprout. I will take some pictures once they are more visiable.

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
I agree. Great idea. Thanks for the step by step instructions!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so glad you've decided to keep him. I hope you'll share a picture of the whole habitat once you're ready.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm trying to put this in context of this thread, spikethetort101. Are you related to OCTortoiseguy? Is this the whole habitat where he's keeping his Russian?

I'm trying to put this in context of this thread, spikethetort101. Are you related to OCTortoiseguy? Is this the whole habitat where he's keeping his Russian?

Yvonne G I'm not related to the OCTortoiseguy and the set up is for my Russian I built it

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Orange County, CA
IMG_0471wp.jpg
IMG_0443wp.jpg IMG_0443wp.jpg IMG_0468wp.jpg IMG_1420wp.jpg IMG_1421wp.jpg IMG_0450wp.jpg
I'm so glad you've decided to keep him. I hope you'll share a picture of the whole habitat once you're ready.
Here are a few photos of the outdoor habitat and a few of him enjoying the new tunnel/shelter.

Attachments

• IMG_0444wp.jpg
    IMG_0444wp.jpg
    645 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like how you've capped the corners. Be sure to pay attention for the first few days to be sure the tortoise can't climb the walls. They look a bit short in the pictures.

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Orange County, CA
I like how you've capped the corners. Be sure to pay attention for the first few days to be sure the tortoise can't climb the walls. They look a bit short in the pictures.

I capped them just in case he can pull himself up and so he doesn't think he can climb out there. .All the boards are 12" tall so he will be good and safe in there. He has been in the 4'x4' area for the last 3 years and never escaped, so he should be good.

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Orange County, CA
Looks awesome how many types of plants are there and what are you going to do for the winter?

Thank you, it is a work i progress. There is grass that just grows, I planted a spineless cactus and a whole lot of tortoise seed mix (he eats it before it gets large). There is also a very large hibiscus tree that hangs over the wall from a neighbors house that drops a lot of flowers treats for him to eat. For the winter he stays outside, he just finished his 3rd year out there. Under the plywood is a dry house made of brick and cement that he sleeps in every night and over the winter.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Love it! Looks like a nice spot for your tort to cool down.
What a creative idea.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I do have a question! Is the 'white scraping' (since I don't know the technical term for it) on his shell from the top?

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Orange County, CA
I do have a question! Is the 'white scraping' (since I don't know the technical term for it) on his shell from the top?
No, the white stuff on his shell is his shell healing from a dog mauling. All the areas on his shell that was chewed on has turned white and then will eventually fall off. Here is a link to my post about that; http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/meet-turdy-a-rt-after-he-survived-a-dog-attack.76667/ I should take some new pictures of his to compare the healing.