Outdoor predators

Chilly

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Im almost convinced on building a DIY outdoor enclosure for the summer. however, I am afraid of potential predators at night. where I live, there are coyotes, foxes, predatory birds, and other things like that that could be dangerous. I would put a chicken wire roof that can open but is that enough. If not, what other safety measures can I take?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Its best to have a secure area to keep them at night. If raccoons are in the area, something with a real lock since they can learn how to manipulate simple clasps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Im almost convinced on building a DIY outdoor enclosure for the summer. however, I am afraid of potential predators at night. where I live, there are coyotes, foxes, predatory birds, and other things like that that could be dangerous. I would put a chicken wire roof that can open but is that enough. If not, what other safety measures can I take?
What species and size are we talking about?

Any tortoise living outside full time should have a temperature controlled night box. I latch mine shut every night and open them every morning. We have raccoons, coyotes, bobcats, bears, mountain lions, ravens, hawks, owls, eagles, possums, rats, etc... I have 27 adults tortoises living outdoors year round. Their night boxes protect them and I have no issues.

If you do build a lid, use hardware cloth or welded wire. Raccoons and coyotes can get through chicken wire. Dogs too. It will stop birds, but not larger mammals.

Chilly

Massachusetts

Any tortoise living outside full time should have a temperature controlled night box. I latch mine shut every night and open them every morning. We have raccoons, coyotes, bobcats, bears, mountain lions, ravens, hawks, owls, eagles, possums, rats, etc... I have 27 adults tortoises living outdoors year round. Their night boxes protect them and I have no issues.

If you do build a lid, use hardware cloth or welded wire. Raccoons and coyotes can get through chicken wire. Dogs too. It will stop birds, but not larger mammals.
She is a 2 year old greek testudo tortoise. can you explain these night boxes more? they sound interesting. also, how much lighting is necessary. I ask because getting electricity from inside to outside is hard in my house and the outdoor outlets don't work.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl

He is only having it as a summer outdoor enclosure. Does he still need the heated night box or nah

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Its best to have a secure area to keep them at night. If raccoons are in the area, something with a real lock since they can learn how to manipulate simple clasps.
I lock mine also. As cute and adorable as raccoons are, I only trust that they will use their silky little hands to rob me blind. They will have to ask me for the combination or the key...☺

Chilly

Massachusetts
He is only having it as a summer outdoor enclosure. Does he still need the heated night box or nah
yeah I was curious about that. because it does get to around 70 at night but other sources have said temperature dips at night are ok. Any help is appreciated!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I ask because getting electricity from inside to outside is hard in my house and the outdoor outlets don't work.

Just an FYI, if you haven't checked, look for a gfci outlet in the garage and see if it needs to be reset. Exterior outlets are often connected to the gfci in garages.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
yeah I was curious about that. because it does get to around 70 at night but other sources have said temperature dips at night are ok. Any help is appreciated!
Yeah I think he thought you were going to have it year round, I'd advise to still make the night box with the lock, but no need for extra heat. It's a hassle, and unnatural for a testudo tortoise, personally, to have heat day and night in summer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She is a 2 year old greek testudo tortoise. can you explain these night boxes more? they sound interesting. also, how much lighting is necessary. I ask because getting electricity from inside to outside is hard in my house and the outdoor outlets don't work.
Here is the kind of box I'm referring to. This one is a double box for a small tortoise on each side:
IMG_7261 copy.JPG
IMG_7257.JPG
IMG_7256.JPG

If you only want to use this during the warmer months, you won't need any heat. Where the heat comes in handy is during early spring and late fall when temps start dropping. I use a mini radiant oil heater to keep ambient around 60-65 (70 for a younger tortoise), and I use the basking lamps on cold ugly rainy days so they have a place to warm up when they are not hibernating. On warm sunny days, the basking lamps are not used. During hibernation the box is unplugged. During summer, the box is unplugged. Having this heat, when managed correctly, allows me to mange the temperatures and keep things good all year long, regardless of the current weather or season.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
While your talking about predators, I would like to show some pictures of what I have come to my house to be fed everyday. My wife and I are animal lovers, Foxs, ducks, groundhogs, squirrels. Rats our also here in my neighborhood,I have watch the Foxes chasing the rats and a bald eagle was eating on a rat. I will be building a outside box for the day time only, it will be a few more years before I allow him to stay outside by himself.20200418_195723.jpg20200418_195823.jpg20191111_190908.jpg