Outdoor ponds:

conservation

10 Year Member!
Does anyone here keep any tropical water turtles in large outdoor heated ponds? I know nothing about water turtles but am considering building an outdoor area for them. Any thoughts? Also, what are some rare and interesting species?

enchilada

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Beach CA
where you located?
i recommend spotted turtle . cold tolerant, great personality , never mess with water plants
dont get Red ear slider. big and ugly, notorious invasive species and always nip at water plants

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I have a pond that in heat in the winter and keep tropical fish in it year round. I'm in so. Cali. So it's a little easier then most places.

Kyle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a big hole in the ground that was dug out with a backhoe then filled with water. The water continually seeps into the earth so I have a dedicated hose that is always barely turned on, dripping water into the pond. I have RES and soft shells in the pond, but I also have a Phrynops hillari in there. The Phrynops comes from Argentina and I've been told they don't hibernate. But she manages to live through our winters here just fine. One winter it got so cold at night (one time) that the pond had a sheet of ice all the way across the top of it.

Phrynops hillari 7-5-12 a.jpg Phrynops hillari 7-5-12 b.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have personally stayed away from tropical species because of the climate issues. Although some seem to make it as Yvonne is experiencing, I have found that it is difficult for them to do well. Even if you heat the water in winter, the cold air makes respiratory problems a constant threat. If I were to undertake a tropical species, I would go a greenhouse route.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
where you located?
i recommend spotted turtle . cold tolerant, great personality , never mess with water plants
dont get Red ear slider. big and ugly, notorious invasive species and always nip at water plants
They nip at water plants because they need more greens in their diet !