Outdoor pens

Ashley99

Location (City and/or State)
Keyworth United Kingdom
Hi there I live in the uk and I was thinking of building an out door enclosure for my 6 month old horsefield tortoise but I am scared that somebody might walk by my garden and try and rob her.
What should I do so it doesent look like there is a tortoise in there.:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tough one Ashley99. Here, I think most houses are set up differently, with fenced back yards, etc. Maybe set up a nice little area and only let him out when someone has time to watch over him. Could you set up a semi-secure fenced in area?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Can you make a fence like this:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408441799.576961.jpg
How much do you want to spend? What is the perimeter of the garden?
The photo above is not mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Thank you both of you I think I have a rough Idea of what I'll do thanks for you help
Your welcome, tell us your idea if you'd like :) that will help us give you some more info.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I wing be making it till about November as weather in uk is getting really crap and need to egg money to make it first @AbdullaAli
It's cheap to make. Cinder blocks cost $1-$4 (£0.6-£2.41) per block, so cost isn't a very big deal. Do you have problems with wild birds? Think they may take your tort? Good luck :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I personally like the look of wood, as in the picture you posted. I also think the wood would make it look more like there wasn't an animal in there, but rather a raised planter or even a hot tub (depending on height). If you plant it well, which your tortoise will enjoy to no end, then it makes it look more like a flower/veggie bed and folks won't usually give it another thought.

Ashley99

Keyworth United Kingdom
Thank you I don't know yet I might do it wood and as for the birds @AbdullaAli I will probably try and make some sort of wire mesh lid that comes on and off so they can take my tort would you suggest worming my tort after been outside or do you think it will be ok @Jacqui @AbdullaAli

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Thank you I don't know yet I might do it wood and as for the birds @AbdullaAli I will probably try and make some sort of wire mesh lid that comes on and off so they can take my tort would you suggest worming my tort after been outside or do you think it will be ok @Jacqui @AbdullaAli
You should not de-worm your tort, outside time is good for their health and has no negative side effects. Ask all you want, it is always better to be safe than sorry :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Being outside (unless it is a stressful thing for the tortoise) should not cause them to become more full of worms. Now if there was something in the enclosure or area, which would have the same types of worms/diseases, then you might want to consider it... or even to do a more low level preventative like feeding some pure pumpkin a few times a year.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What so tortoise can eat that orange stuff out of pumpkins @Jacqui

You can feed all of the pumpkin (meat, skin, and seeds). Might have to cut it up or blend it for the smaller ones. It's an old style preventative, but will not work as a wormer.

StuMac

5 Year Member
Hi Ashley! Since we are both in the UK ( I'm in Aberdeenshire), why not think about popping to Home Bargains? They sell those mini fence parts, about 1.5m each for £3. I bought 3 to make a fenced off area for my tort Slash, and it works a treat. They are 2 feet high so they can't be climbed unless there are things to climb on to help. They hammer into the ground so are nice and secure. And then you can plant some seeds/ornaments/plant pots. For under £40 you could have a great enclosure with plants that no one would know was a pet enclosure. I can leave Slash outside all day when the weather is good and he is fine. Just digs down a bit to get some shade, usually under a plant.

Here is the one I made, including the underground lair I made with wood and bricks. Just a bit overgrown just now!!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408628362.237857.jpg