Outdoor living

HerbsMommy

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering when my tort will be ready to live outdoors in a proper, heated and humid environment. He's 2.5 years old and about 15 pounds and still lives inside in his enclosure. When we bought him, we were told indoors until he was 4. Thoughts? I'm afraid of animals messing with him, like cats or raccoons

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering when my tort will be ready to live outdoors in a proper, heated and humid environment. He's 2.5 years old and about 15 pounds and still lives inside in his enclosure. When we bought him, we were told indoors until he was 4. Thoughts? I'm afraid of animals messing with him, like cats or raccoons
That would all depend on your location, security and weather situation. For example, all of my tortoises live outside at about 7 plus pounds...In Florida.....In the suburbs.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
At 15 pounds your tortoise is large enough to be outside during the day, in a proper outside area. What is 'proper' depends on where you live and the nature of the actual outside area. Many people don't have raccoons visiting during the day, and at night the tortoises are kept in a 'night-house' that is predator proof.

During the day, many hides and shady places are good to have available, under shrubs or open houses that provide what has been called 'deep shade' many times here on TFO (shade under shade to reduce radiant heat moving through a single sun barrier).

If you could share your general location and a picture of the intended outside space that would help much in sorting out the experience of others as it can be applied to your situation.

luvsdaheat

Sunny Palm Springs, CA
Your Member info does not let us know where you live. more details please;) Northern Cal, or. So. Cal Inland for example, instead of simply 'California.'
I totally agree with the above comments that your torts' size is OK to go outdoors - ours went outside full time at around 7-8lbs - too heavy for an owl or other raptor to carry off, and too big to interest a raccoon.
That said, I'm sure there are common-sense caveats or exceptions - aside from weather - such as you have a known fox, bobcat or puma trail running thru your yard and you won't have 100% wire mesh coverage over the top....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He's 2.5 years old and 15 pounds, wow, that's a lot of weight for that age. Mine was only 3 pounds 10 ounces at that age. Can you post a pic of him please :D

HerbsMommy

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. Yeah, he grew extremely fast..! I'm in Southern California where it hardly drops below 70... Especially not this summer. It's been extremely hot and humid. No worries about big cats, we do occasionally see raccoons but I can definitely make sure he is protected at nightImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442155590.464955.jpg. I don't have an outdoor space built yet. Just his grassy pen where he plays and eats for a few hours during the day

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
15lbs? LOL

My guy is 3 and 7lbs. Looks similar in size to yours....I think your scale is a bit off ;)

Regardless, my guy lives outside full time and yours can too.

Make sure the pen, designated tort space or backyard has an escape proof perimeter. Offer lots of shade and plants for hiding in and don't forget the heated house. Tom's design is a good one. You can make sure he's locked up safely each night and predators can't get him.

Like this:
2015-07-08_15.31.54.jpg
2015-07-08_15.28.17.jpg

Hope this helps

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
I was thinking the same thing. 15 lbs at 2.5 years! I need to see more picks of this cute monster!

Alaskamike

South Florida
If that Leopard is 15lbs at that age , you have a Giant. Might be a record !

I had a wire mesh over my outside enclosure when mine were under 5 lbs. But now do not. High sides on their enclosure keep the Dogs out , and the dogs keep the raccoons and other critters out of the area. It's a symbiotic relationship. Lol

You must have a very big place to keep a 15 lb tort inside !

What's great about outside is - I don't need to be daily feeding my grazers , since they feed on their fully planted surrounds. They have a heated box to retreat to in cooler weather ( not as nice as @ Tom's but works )

Fast growers especially need room to roam and exert an effort to feed. They have a heavy shell to cart around and need strong legs.

I also believe ( this is just me talking ) that times of actually getting hungry and roaming around finding food is good for their metabolism. If we always just plop a pile in front of them , no effort is exerted. No exercise gained.

Good luck with that mammoth Leo. :)