Outdoor Hatchlings

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
These belong to the same friend who had the surprise hatchlings back a few months ago that ended up with horrible dehydration. I'm trying to advise him on hydration, as he traditionally "sprays them down" once a day and keeps them in an aquarium. I really need a good way to convince him. :/
These were another surprise. 8 babies. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411687827.115737.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, the fact that the previous batch suffered dehydration should be enough to convince him to change his ways. Give him the "...hatch during the monsoon season when the ground is very wet and there is plenty of green and growing grass..." talk.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, muddy little fellas. Have you asked your friend to join TFO? Send him right to Toms threads. Let him know he doesn't have to join to read the info, incase he doesn't like forums.
Good luck. If these ones don't make it, or suffer dehydration, you should inform him about the laws of animal cruelty and neglect.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Now had these guys opened up that hole or did your friend open it or enlarge it?

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Now had these guys opened up that hole or did your friend open it or enlarge it?
No idea. I only see 4, so I imagine he'd already removed the others? Says he found them in the ground. Unexpected. Just like last time.
I've tried to get him on TFO. Many times. I've printed out the care sheets when I last saw him. Sent him email links. He gets offended. I guess. Because "he's been doing this for years". His hatchlings have a 1:5 survival rate, I'm guessing. And always low number of eggs and/or babies. The last clutch produced 2. Both of which have passed away on me! They are so far beyond repair by the time I can get them. Last time was only 3-4 days.
Could it have something to do with the "unexpected outdoor surprise nest" vs "properly incubated" aspect? I'm sure it all plays a part.
It's just sad.