Outdoor Environment Plant Idenficiation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear

5 Year Member
My russian tortoise is for the moment a house animal, because I'm not sure about the outside environment...

I could really use some help identifying these plants in my two gardens(because they weren'rtt planted by me, so I have no clue what they are) so that I can tell if before I finally set up the outdoor habitat if anything has to be removed.

This a link to an album I made with pictures of all the plants:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v180/YusYusk/Plants/
Most of the pictures are followed by another picture with a closeup of the flower/leaves.

There are also(unshown) a few tomato plants in the planned space.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
First picture - dandelion, edible
Second picture - oxalis, not edible
Next one - some kind of succulent plant - unknown by me
Next one - looks like some sort of onion-type plant...chives maybe??
Next two - I don't know
I think the next one is Hosta - edible
Now we're up to the picture shown in the hand. That's a type of succulent. Depending upon the time of year it blooms, its called a Christmas cactus or an Easter cactus - edible
Next one is marigold. Some varieties are edible, some not. Tortoises usually don't eat them anyway. They smell pungent
Don't know the one in the cement pot, but the next one is echiveria, commonly called hen and chicks. It's ok
Don't know the next one, but picture #25 is an orchid cactus. They grow on debris in tree trunks in the jungle and have beautiful flowers. edible.

You didn't plant any of those plants? You've inherited quite a nice garden. Good luck with it.

Bear

5 Year Member
Hmm ill have to get rid of the oxalis.

Yeah thats probably chives xD

My grandfather & one of my nextdoor neighbors did most of the planting, but the past few years its been too tiring for him to take care of any of the plants except the potted ones on the porch.

Thanks very much for the help :D

The ineditibility of Oxalis is due to Oxalic acid right?

Based on what Oxalic acid does, if my tortoise accidentally snags some Oxalis that I mean it wont be like he ate life threatening poison, right? (Im just asking because based on my skill as a gardener[nil] I might not be very good at completely getting rid of the stuff and I would rather not end up smacking my head against a wall and rushing to a vet because he chomped some that grew back)

Also um, in the dandelion and Oxalis pictures there are also those bland leafy looking plants.

What are those? :<

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Are you asking about those blades of grass-like plants? Don't know their official name, but they're ok to eat.

S

stells

Pic 4 and 5 is iceplant... Sedum spectabile... edible

Pics 8 and 9... look like the leaves of Bleeding heart... Dicentra spectabilis... wait til it flowers to be sure... Toxic...

The Marigolds are French marigolds... Tagetes patula... Toxic...

I think Yvonne filled in the rest of them... it is always good to see a plant in flower... so any unknown repost when they are flowering... oh and the one Yvonne thought was Hosta... is Hosta... edible...

Status
Not open for further replies.