Outdoor Enclosure

ThomasGVAZ

Location (City and/or State)
Golden Valley, Arizona
I have a 5 year old Sulcata that was recently given to me. Her name is Rexi. She is going to live in a 20’ x 30’ outside enclosure. I built a house for her 24” wide x 36” long and 24” high. I wanted to keep the enclosure as close to its natural environment so I put the house underground with the top 4” above ground level. It has a hinged roof so I can open it to check on her and keep it clean. There is a 3’ long tunnel from the surface down to the opening of the house. I have a heat panel 15” above Rexi’s shell that works with a thermostat keeping inside temps at a constant 84 degrees. In the enclosure I have a pond with pebbles in it that I can move around to adjust the depth as she grows. She soaks in it constantly. I planted wild grass for grazing around the pond and some plants on one side. There are a couple of shaded areas for her to hide in during the day. For food I give her the Mazuri pellets and she has the grass to eat as she wants. Lettuce occasionally. So, my questions are is the house ok below ground or should I bring it above ground? Currently there is no solid floor in the house, just the dirt bottom. Should I leave it dirt or make it solid? Flooding is not an issue. The ground is sloped around the opening to the tunnel. Should I be feeding her differently? Can I buy plants from the nursery or should I grow from seed? Her regular routine is she goes into her house between 4 and 4:30 every evening and comes out around 8 every morning. I do close off the entrance to the tunnel every night. Sorry for the long post, I just want to do it right. Thanks for your input. Pic 1 is Rexi at the entrance to his house…Pic 2 is the enclosure…Pic 3 is the pond and grazing area

Attachments

• IMG_3432.jpeg
    IMG_3432.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3423.jpeg
    IMG_3423.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3415.jpeg
    IMG_3415.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It sounds great. A bigger enclosure would be better but hopefully you can do that as she grows
@Tom can comment on the hide. Being under ground I know is fine. Dirt floor I'm not sure or

ThomasGVAZ

Golden Valley, Arizona
It sounds great. A bigger enclosure would be better but hopefully you can do that as she grows
@Tom can comment on the hide. Being under ground I know is fine. Dirt floor I'm not sure or
Thanks for your reply. As she gets bigger the plan is to put an opening in the wall and give her access to the whole backyard, 3000 sq. ft (also completely fenced in). And put her back in the smaller enclosure at night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The house is too small. You need one at least 4x4 feet.

Definitely put in a solid bottom or your tortoise will demonstrate its "dig to China" trick for you soon.

Mazuri is good once or twice a week. Weeds, grass, leaves, opuntia pads, and grass hay are all good foods.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've gone to a lot of trouble to make a very nice home for your new sulcata. I really like it. But I think you're soon going to discover it's not nearly big enough. They grow SO fast. The underground shelter is a good idea for Arizona. It should stay pretty cool in there during your hot summers. I'm not familiar with Arizona winters, but most of us need a heated shelter for winter. If you have cold winters, how will you provide 80F degree living conditions for your tortoise in an underground shelter?

Nice-looking tortoise.

ThomasGVAZ

Golden Valley, Arizona
You've gone to a lot of trouble to make a very nice home for your new sulcata. I really like it. But I think you're soon going to discover it's not nearly big enough. They grow SO fast. The underground shelter is a good idea for Arizona. It should stay pretty cool in there during your hot summers. I'm not familiar with Arizona winters, but most of us need a heated shelter for winter. If you have cold winters, how will you provide 80F degree living conditions for your tortoise in an underground shelter?

Nice-looking tortoise.
Hi Yvonne. I'm going to put an opening in the enclosure so she will have access to our fenced backyard that is an additional 3000 sq. ft. The hope is that she will make her way back to the original enclosure for night time, or I can put her back in. I have a heat panel with a thermostat that keeps inside temps inside her house between 82 and 85. I have a question about plants. Is it ok to buy plants from a nursery or should I grow from seeds? Thanks.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
It really depends on the nursery. I don't know your local situation, but I wouldn't buy plants from a regular nursery because of the chance of strong fertilizers/pesticides. There are some nurseries that don't use them (even some reptile specific ones) but I have found it cheaper to grow my own.
Hi Yvonne. I'm going to put an opening in the enclosure so she will have access to our fenced backyard that is an additional 3000 sq. ft. The hope is that she will make her way back to the original enclosure for night time, or I can put her back in. I have a heat panel with a thermostat that keeps inside temps inside her house between 82 and 85. I have a question about plants. Is it ok to buy plants from a nursery or should I grow from seeds? Thanks.