Outdoor enclosure with mixed sun/shade

nsmancino

5 Year Member
Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before...

I'm going to be working on my juvenile Sullys outdoor enclosure this weekend and I wanted some suggestions as to which plants grow well with partial sun. We have a massive pepper tree and it provides a nice shade over the area the enclosure will be. Sun filters through during the day so my little guy will always have a sunny spot but it will vary with the position of the sun.

Anyone know of any tortoise seed mixes that will do well in partial sun?

Also, suggestions on the best way to heat the burrow in the outdoor enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hosta, viola, rye grass. I'm not sure, but I THINK any of the grass seeds will do ok in partial shade as long as you don't over water.

I don't allow my tortoises to burrow. The weather here just isn't right for a burrowing tortoise. So I make sure that his house is mighty comfortable for him and that way he doesn't feel the need to dig a burrow. The house is in the shade so in summer it's a cool retreat. In the winter he sits on a pig blanket or under a fixture hanging from the ceiling with a 60watt black light in it.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California

nsmancino

5 Year Member
Dizisdalife said:
Knowing what part of the world you live in would help tailor recommendations for seeds and heating and such. Here is a seed mix that has worked well for me. http://www.groworganic.com/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation.html.
It's not the only mix that I have planted in my sulcata pen. I like the testudo mix from Tortoise supply as well.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-84626.html
Once you start searching for mixes and seeds you will come across a bunch of interesting options.

I live in Southern California. North San Diego county. In a little rural town at the foot of the mountains. Summers are hot (90s) but winters can get very cold (30s). I plan to keep my Sully inside at night when during the winter but plan to let him out during the days when the temps are in the 60s and higher. But of course, I want him to have a warm hide/burrow.

I tried one seed mix that failed miserably. Can't remember the name...

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
nsmancino said:
Dizisdalife said:
Knowing what part of the world you live in would help tailor recommendations for seeds and heating and such. Here is a seed mix that has worked well for me. http://www.groworganic.com/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation.html.
It's not the only mix that I have planted in my sulcata pen. I like the testudo mix from Tortoise supply as well.
Once you start searching for mixes and seeds you will come across a bunch of interesting options.

I live in Southern California. North San Diego county. In a little rural town at the foot of the mountains. Summers are hot (90s) but winters can get very cold (30s). I plan to keep my Sully inside at night when during the winter but plan to let him out during the days when the temps are in the 60s and higher. But of course, I want him to have a warm hide/burrow.

So, you live about 10 miles from me. Good. The premium pasture mix that I suggested is growing well for me with no signs of dying this winter. Not sure that it is a good time to plant seeds outside though. The testudo mix may have trouble getting started outside too. There are so many different plants in it that I am sure some would remain dormant until the ground temps warm up. You could start some in pots or flats for winter feedings and then plant outside in a couple of months. How big is your tortoise?

nsmancino

5 Year Member
Dizisdalife said:
nsmancino said:
Dizisdalife said:

So, you live about 10 miles from me. Good. The premium pasture mix that I suggested is growing well for me with no signs of dying this winter. Not sure that it is a good time to plant seeds outside though. The testudo mix may have trouble getting started outside too. There are so many different plants in it that I am sure some would remain dormant until the ground temps warm up. You could start some in pots or flats for winter feedings and then plant outside in a couple of months. How big is your tortoise?

I don't have exact measurements (need to get a new scale) but he's around 7inches. I've had him for a little than a year and half. He was gifted to me as a baby so I'm not sure his exact age. Thanks for the advice so far. Hoping to set up the borders of his enclosure soon as this week we are going to have temps in the mid to high 70s. Will be ordering the seed mix you suggested as well as mazuri. Now I need to start brainstorming ways to improve/expand his indoor quarters.

nsmancino

5 Year Member

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
nsmancino said:
Do have suggest I upgrade his indoor enclosure for those extra chilly nights or would insulating and heating a hide and securing Sully in there until morning be sufficient?

Not knowing how you are keeping him inside makes it tough to advise you here. Typically they are kept inside at night until they are about 10". After that they are usually ready to live outside 24/7. Whether they are inside or outside the night time temps should be kept at about 80F. When my sulcata was the size of yours I had a pen for him outside that was about 5'x16'. At night I brought him inside to a closed chamber where it was 80F and 80% humidity.