Outdoor enclosure tips/critique

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galveston, Tx
IMG_20160515_122345.jpg I'm in the process of making Tippie's outdoor enclosure. Right now I just have the basic perimeter. I have wire going 4" into the ground at most places to prevent digging out (need more wire). I know I still need to make a "house" and put in some pool/water area and I need to put up wire to prevent wildlife from getting in. Other than that, any suggestions?
P.s. She's still much too small to be outdoors full time, so I'm in no rush.

Kasia

Poland
View attachment 173622 I'm in the process of making Tippie's outdoor enclosure. Right now I just have the basic perimeter. I have wire going 4" into the ground at most places to prevent digging out (need more wire). I know I still need to make a "house" and put in some pool/water area and I need to put up wire to prevent wildlife from getting in. Other than that, any suggestions?
P.s. She's still much too small to be outdoors full time, so I'm in no rush.
Give her/him a log or bush to hide under :) Tortie will definitely like that :)

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I'd see if you could plant a lot of edible plants in there. It would break up sight barriers for her and make it more of a jungle of adventure for when she's out there!
Such a cute tort by the way!

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Hibiscus are awesome, hosta too.
Spider plants you could try though I'm not sure how well they'd do outside.
Snake plants might be alright.

But try to find a nursery that doesn't spray pesticides or chemicals on their plants instead of buying from Home Depot. If you do buy from HD then you'll probably have to wait 6 months and put them in different soil before adding them to your tort paradise.

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
Hibiscus are awesome, hosta too.
Spider plants you could try though I'm not sure how well they'd do outside.
Snake plants might be alright.

But try to find a nursery that doesn't spray pesticides or chemicals on their plants instead of buying from Home Depot. If you do buy from HD then you'll probably have to wait 6 months and put them in different soil before adding them to your tort paradise.
We have a nursery near here that doesn't use chemicals. We have two hibiscus plants from there :) I might try a smaller plant for the enclosure though... They can get quite large. Perhaps some bak Choy or some type of greens