Outdoor enclosure liner/dig proofing? Yes? No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
Hey there,
I haven't been around too much since the last build we did. Since then we've relocated a good 8 hours north (North Fl) and now instead of a 650sq ft historic home in South Florida, we have a farm on a few acres. Needless to say the outdoor tortsie build started immediately....that was a month ago! The clay up here has proven to be a difficult medium to dig through :p
My idea was to dig it out deep, line it with chainlink and fill it back in, build it around as normal from there. Tell me this, is the liner/dig proofing a necessary thing? I keep seeing so many people with simpler plans and seemingly easier times building there outdoor spaces. I do want to dig it out and put rock down for drainage either way. (I'm concerned with how damp the soil got a few times)
Thanks in advance! Echo thanks you too, the poor girl needs to get outside!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
What kind after to do you have? I live in South Florida, i have sullies and boxies and I didn't put anything in the ground. never had one escaped

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
We have a year and a half old sulcata and potentially a 45 pound (unknown age) sulcata as well. Separate enclosures of course. We moved from South Florida where we had a temporary outdoor enclosure (pool) set up, but since we finally have real land we're looking to build a pretty great outdoor. Digging this clay has taken ages though :p So happy to think i might be able to abort the mission and get onto the fun stuff! Haha.
I was concerned with their digging and didn't want to kick myself in the butt for not lining it!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
What kind after to do you have? I live in South Florida, i have sullies and boxies and I didn't put anything in the ground. never had one escaped

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have never dug down or lined any sulcata pen in more than 20 years of keeping them. I just contain them with slumpstone blocks.

If they dig, they just dig down and usually to the right. They only dig to dig a burrow to escape temperature extremes. They don't dig to escape or get under a fence, like a dog. While its physically possible, I've never seen or heard of one digging upward at all.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Tom! I'm so happy you responded, I was about to message you personally and ask for advice.
Well then, I'll officially stop the back breaking family project that is digging out this clap pit :p
What are your opinions on soil draining? I've never had to think about it until moving here and dealing with this moisture holding clay. I worry about shell rot and such. I think my idea of lining it with rock will help, yea? I'll try to post a picture asap!

Tom said:
I have never dug down or lined any sulcata pen in more than 20 years of keeping them. I just contain them with slumpstone blocks.

If they dig, they just dig down and usually to the right. They only dig to dig a burrow to escape temperature extremes. They don't dig to escape or get under a fence, like a dog. While its physically possible, I've never seen or heard of one digging upward at all.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
There ya go, just an idea of the space we're planning it in. This is within a pasture in our yard. We plan to double that dug out size and bring it all the way to the fence on the right.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
Status
Not open for further replies.