Outdoor Enclosure "Lids" or "Ceilings" - Help Needed

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree with the above. Create a perimeter (cinder block or even plywood has worked well for me) top it off with some fresh soil and sow seeds...lots of seeds!
As long as it is well planted, they'll be fine outside during the day. Bring them in at night and repeat. :)

Here are some of my pens to give you an idea. Notice it's lots of growth VS. a bare dirt patch with plants "here and there"

View attachment 103723 View attachment 103724 View attachment 103725 View attachment 103726 View attachment 103727 View attachment 103728
Anyway, you get the idea ;)

Hope this helps. Setting up a new outdoor enclosure is always so much fun!!

These must have been from when you were in SoCal...cuz the sun is shining...;) Beautiful places for tortoises to live. (your pens)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
These must have been from when you were in SoCal...cuz the sun is shining...;) Beautiful places for tortoises to live. (your pens)
Yes, those were a few of the SoCal pens! And thank you.

Now in Oregon, only having the 1, I don't have any pens...Just the tort yard/heated house. I miss all the gardening!

I will say southern Oregon isn't at all like I imagined... It's not a rainy place. It has been cooler weather and off/on very light showers but we still have sunshine almost daily and I wouldn't have even classified these as "rainy days". Both Levi and I are pleasantly surprised with the weather ;) so far...

Back on topic, I really am excited for you to design your pens...it really is the best! So much fun! I'd come do it for you if I could lol

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So, back to the OP question regarding a lid for a tub, here are the pix that I promised of a simple 2x4 wooden frame covered with hardware wire/mesh. Simple lap joints keep the frame rigid, and the hardware cloth once stapled, makes the frame all the more firm.

This type frame can be modified to meet your container's dimensions.

Photo 1: shows the container that needs a lid
Photo 2: shows the lap joints with bolt
Photo 3: shows the lid over the enclosure.

Supplies:

4 -- 2 x 4 x 4 - pressure treated wood
4 -- sets of bolts and nuts/washers
1 roll -- Hardware cloth (screen mesh)
1 box Wire staples
staple gun or hammer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg