Outdoor enclosure ideas

Violanna

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So we haven’t had much chance to set up Creeper’s baby sunning enclosure yet. I know I plan to grow a patch of grass on one side. Anyone got any ideas of what to add? Need some more hiding places.

Here is a picture of Creeper sunning for the first time in his little tub, so you can see what I’m working with E973FB6B-8F9A-4EA9-825D-66D963C78562.jpeg3780F57F-1CA8-4910-A941-496080C150AB.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Is this just an outside roaming/basking/sunning area? Id add a lot more hanging plants, shade, a sunken terra cotta saucer and a nice overturned basin/humid hide. A nice flat slate to feed on.

Violanna

Texas
Is this just an outside roaming/basking/sunning area? Id add a lot more hanging plants, shade, a sunken terra cotta saucer and a nice overturned basin/humid hide. A nice flat slate to feed on.
Yup just for sunning while it lives indoors. We have a large fenced enclosure planned for the future, but first steps on that one are completely landscaping our yard. It’s currently just like 30 trees and fine grade sand(we live a few blocks from a huge lake). So we have to chop down some trees, add good soil, plant grass seed. By the time we finish that it may be close to time for the little one to live outside in spring and summer.

what type of plants do you recommend? I currently just have my hibiscus sitting in there, I unfortunately never got a chance to put it in the ground before the cold hit.

Relic

Here
Is it tropical or hardy hibiscus? If hardy hibiscus you can still plant it...

Violanna

Texas
Is it tropical or hardy hibiscus? If hardy hibiscus you can still plant it...
I didn’t know there was a difference. How do I tell? I bought it from a local nursery when it was a tiny sapling. It just said hibiscus. I live in Texas if that helps.

Relic

Here
I also share your State of choice. Easiest perhaps to just do a google search of the 2 types of hibiscus. The tropical varieties have much larger flowers and leaves, and is the most typical type sold in most nurseries. Hardy hibiscus can be sold as Rose of Sharon or Althea, with smaller flowers and leaves, but the ability to endure harsh freezing weather with ease. It also can grow fairly tall, 8-10 feet. Both types produce edible leaves and flowers, but if you are wanting to plant something long-term, go with the hardy variety. The tropical can be used in the summer to provide shade and food, but will die as soon as the first freeze arrives.

PS - The hibiscus in the photo looks distinctly like the tropical variety...

DianeS

San Diego, California
So we haven’t had much chance to set up Creeper’s baby sunning enclosure yet. I know I plan to grow a patch of grass on one side. Anyone got any ideas of what to add? Need some more hiding places.

Here is a picture of Creeper sunning for the first time in his little tub, so you can see what I’m working with View attachment 310181View attachment 310180
need a screen cover

Violanna

Texas
need a screen cover
Yeah that’s hubbys next project. My kids are currently loving just sitting and watching him though. Also we luckily have so many trees it prevents predators. Just have to keep my dogs away. Which we are currently doing by having the dogs out back and Creeper out front. My back yard has about 30 trees, my front yard has 7.