Outdoor enclosure for cherry head

Leisy Lou

Location (City and/or State)
HOUSTON
I just moved to a new place in Houston, TX and am looking to build an outdoor enclosure for my 3 year old cherry head tortoise Hermann since the weather is nice a lot of the year for him. I would like to provide live plants for him to snack on/provide shade, but was wondering if I could gets some recommendations and how to approach the soil so I don't accidentally harm Hermann

A couple of items I was thinking of was dandelions, purple mustard greens, cactus(but I need to research what kind would be ok for him).

Thanks for any help in advance!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm just a bit confused. Is the tortoises name Hermann?
Or is it a cross of a Cherry Head and a Hermann tortoise?
Rose of Sharon, hibiscus, mulberry, the ones you mentioned all good. The three I mentioned will also give shade. Hosta will give low covering shade and can be eaten. Also check the link here.https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Leisy Lou

HOUSTON
I'm just a bit confused. Is the tortoises name Hermann?
Or is it a cross of a Cherry Head and a Hermann tortoise?
Rose of Sharon, hibiscus, mulberry, the ones you mentioned all good. The three I mentioned will also give shade. Hosta will give low covering shade and can be eaten. Also check the link here.https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/
His name is Hermann :)

Thank you so very much!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Shade will be very important.
I generally use plants that my RF DON'T eat inside my enclosures. Big bushy, trample resistant plants. Just for shade. And food plants outside of the enclosures.
Shade is very important for Redfoot.
Spider plants and Lyriopi are very inexpensive and can grow very large. And they require no maintenance. And no extra watering. (Just the rain)
You can place edible plants into your outdoors enclosures. I'm only reporting that they just get destroyed in my experience.
Grass, weeds, dirt, mulch and large flat stones for nail and beak maintenance are all ok.
No small enough to swallow stones.
Look out for FIRE ANTS.
I also reccomend building your outdoors enclosure in an area that is not exposed to direct sunlight all day long.
Redfoot are more comfortable in shade or part shade. And don't forget to include a water pan or pool for hanging out and for drinking

Last edited: