Our Russian Tortoise won't eat

AyrWendy

Location (City and/or State)
AYRSHIRE
I'm looking for some help. I got my son a Russian Tortoise for his Christmas after we watched a friend's when they were on holiday. I got the tortoise from Preloved Pets website. We were told the the tortoise was about 6 months old. My son has named the tortoise Shelby. I had to pick the tortoise up about 3 weeks before Christmas so my friend looked after it in its separate enclosure with heat and uvb combined lamp which I got from Pets at Home. My friend bathed Shelby every day but she wouldn't open her eyes or eat. I phoned two separate vets in the area who advised environment is the main reason why she may not be eating or opening her eyes. I was advised to use an eye lubricant which we started straight away. Since Shelby is now at our house she is opening her eyes but not all the time. She is still not eating that we can see but she does poo in her bath about every 3 days. We have since put a Uvb bulb also in her enclosure. We have a thermometer so her enclosure is the right temperature. We are using substrate for tortoises from Pets at Home which is sprayed with water daily. We bath her daily for an hour and she gets fresh leaves twice a day. We have taken Shelby to our local vet who has given her a clean bill of health but is worried she is light and not eating. All the bulbs are switched off at night but are on for a good 12 hours daily. Shelby tends to stay in a corner at night but she does go to her hide out some nights. She doesn't move to the warmth when her lights are turned back on and I normally have to move her to a warm area after an hour or so in the morning. We are new to this and want to do the best for Shelby so any advice will be welcome, particularly on how to get her to eat as it's been about 4 weeks now. Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need more details then she has proper heat etc. we need specifics in order to help. Most of the info you already got from sources other then this forum could be bad or outdated. For one, a uvb bulb should always be available unless your getting your tort outside 3 times a week or more. He needs a basking temp of 95-100 or he can't properly digest his food. What are your temps, day, night basking. What is the humidity. What does the diet consist of? Every detail of his care will help us help you.

AyrWendy

AYRSHIRE
Thanks for getting back to me. We live in Scotland so it will be a while temperature wise before she can go outside. The basking temperature is 100 with cooler areas she can go to. Should the Uvb light be on 24 hours a day? We are feeding her Florette crispy leaves (Frisee, lettuce and radicchio). We have also got Prorep Tortoise Food. We have tried tomatoes, cucumber and strawberry but are aware these should be limited. She is not interested in any food. Not sure of the temperature at night but none of her lights are kept on. I've attached some photos for you. Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks.

1515015482303858139496.jpg 1515015518698974857895.jpg 15150155516961859906828.jpg 15150155708912143566826.jpg

AyrWendy

AYRSHIRE
Here is a photo of Shelby

Attachments

• 1515016198600352954808.jpg
    1515016198600352954808.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Here are a few recommendations.
-change the substrate. Those little white bits can cause impactions, and tortoises need a substrate that can retain humidity. I recommend orchid bark, coco coir, or cypress mulch.

-Those disk thermometers are not accurate at all. You could have 30 off of a shelf, and none of them would read the same temperatures. Temperature guns are a life savor-IMG_0005.jpg
You can get any brand, but make sure you find one that’s accurate(read the reviews).

-you have a compact uvb light. Those are not very effective, and sometimes cause eye issues. I would recommend a tube light, or a mercury vapor bulb. I personally like tube lights more because they seem to last longer, and I like zoo med’s Reptisun 10.0. It is recommended that you get a solar meter for MVBs, because they sometimes go out at around 6 months, depending on the light.

Please give this a read-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

AyrWendy

AYRSHIRE
Thanks very much for the advice. I've ordered the coco coir substrate, gun thermometer and light you recommended on amazon prime so it will come tomorrow. The light is the same specification you suggested but have ordered the compact version to fit our fitting. Do you think this will be okay or do I need to buy a new fitting and bulb? Also, we currently have a uva and heat lamp combined, and a separate basking lamp. Should any of these be removed when I get the uvb light tomorrow.

Your help is really appreciated and hopefully we'll have a happy tortoise who is eating soon.

Thanks,
Wendy.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thanks very much for the advice. I've ordered the coco coir substrate, gun thermometer and light you recommended on amazon prime so it will come tomorrow. The light is the same specification you suggested but have ordered the compact version to fit our fitting. Do you think this will be okay or do I need to buy a new fitting and bulb? Also, we currently have a uva and heat lamp combined, and a separate basking lamp. Should any of these be removed when I get the uvb light tomorrow.

Your help is really appreciated and hopefully we'll have a happy tortoise who is eating soon.

Thanks,
Wendy.

A compact bulb is the same as a coil. It’s not very effective, and can cause eye issues. It’s a shame too, because they’re so affordable lol. A tube light and MVBs are the most effective, in my opinion anyway.
Although, if you have weather warm enough to bring your tort out everyday, that’s an option too.

AyrWendy

AYRSHIRE
Sorry to be a complete novice here. I can get the 24 inch tube light but not sure what Mvb to buy. Can you please send me a link so I know what I'm looking for. Have cancelled the previous light ordered and want to make sure I get the right thing.

Thanks for your help.

AyrWendy

AYRSHIRE
Thanks. This helps a lot. I will order the bulb today. I think I will need to leave the tube bulb just now as I don't think a hood will fit our current set up.

Your help has been really appreciated.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Please get rid of that coiled bulb. That could be the reason it is not opening its eyes. Coiled bulbs can cause eye damage. Good luck

AyrWendy

AYRSHIRE
Thanks. I've taken it away today and have ordered an all in one lamp which will come tomorrow. Never realised how bright it was until I took it out. It must have been very hard on her eyes.

I welcome any advice as want to ensure I do everything correct. Thanks.

Floki1

Brampton
My Russian baby stopped eating I bought a black ceramic light for night time after someone on the forum recommended it. He’s now active , eating and has nearly doubled his weight.

Floki1

Brampton
This was the advice I was given. I’m a tortoise newbie myself

Your baby needs 27C/85F day and night. And it also needs 35-37C/95-100F directly under the basking lamp. The lights must be as bright as possible and on for 13 hours.

At night your tortoise needs complete darkness, but still needs the warmth so you need a Ceramic Heat Emitter and a thermostat to achieve this.

Without night heat your tort will be too cold to get going the next day.

AyrWendy

AYRSHIRE
Great. Thank you. Everything should be set up by tomorrow and hopefully my tortoise will improve.

snivloc16

Kansas
You don’t need night heat for Russians as long as the ambient temperature in the room is 60-70f. Just something to think about so you don’t spend extra money on CHE.

San Jose
I'm looking for some help. I got my son a Russian Tortoise for his Christmas after we watched a friend's when they were on holiday. I got the tortoise from Preloved Pets website. We were told the the tortoise was about 6 months old. My son has named the tortoise Shelby. I had to pick the tortoise up about 3 weeks before Christmas so my friend looked after it in its separate enclosure with heat and uvb combined lamp which I got from Pets at Home. My friend bathed Shelby every day but she wouldn't open her eyes or eat. I phoned two separate vets in the area who advised environment is the main reason why she may not be eating or opening her eyes. I was advised to use an eye lubricant which we started straight away. Since Shelby is now at our house she is opening her eyes but not all the time. She is still not eating that we can see but she does poo in her bath about every 3 days. We have since put a Uvb bulb also in her enclosure. We have a thermometer so her enclosure is the right temperature. We are using substrate for tortoises from Pets at Home which is sprayed with water daily. We bath her daily for an hour and she gets fresh leaves twice a day. We have taken Shelby to our local vet who has given her a clean bill of health but is worried she is light and not eating. All the bulbs are switched off at night but are on for a good 12 hours daily. Shelby tends to stay in a corner at night but she does go to her hide out some nights. She doesn't move to the warmth when her lights are turned back on and I normally have to move her to a warm area after an hour or so in the morning. We are new to this and want to do the best for Shelby so any advice will be welcome, particularly on how to get her to eat as it's been about 4 weeks now. Thanks.

Mmm that is very interesting. Perhaps your tort is in hibernation mode.? I have a Russian tortoise too and he eats all day long. I talk to him and pet him a lot and he really likes pets on his head. He likes to climb on his log and bask. One thing I do know is that this species is so very sensitive. I’ll put my prayers in that your sweet Shelby will come around and eat. Btw what a cute name I named my tort Sheldon.

AyrWendy

AYRSHIRE
Thanks for the info. My vet thinks she may have been on her way to hibernation. She is active. Hopefully once I get the set up correct she will start eating, and opening her eyes more.

Thanks to everyone.