Our RT's weird way of drinking — scared of water?

Ryongsyong

5 Year Member
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone's come across the way of drinking our three-year-old RT seems to have started doing in the last few months. He used to favor the more traditional lower head or plunge head fully underwater technique, but instead has lately started opening his mouth wide and biting at the water, and then swallowing whatever is (or isn't) in his mouth. We're not really sure why he's started doing that, and it doesn't seem very efficient, or even safe really, as once he seemed to cough a bit and had to spit some out, like when it "goes down the wrong way" with kids.

He seems to be scared of water in general. He will never go in his actual water bowl, which is very shallow and not the death-trap large things you see pictures of sometimes, and is below the floor-line, so he doesn't have to climb into it. If we put him in manually, he'll stretch out his legs and really tense up, like he thinks he's about to sink right to the bottom of a lake, and once we let go, he'll try to leave it as soon as possible. Even floating food on the water won't encourage him to take a dip.

Because of that, we're worried about whether he's drinking enough. He gets a bath for 10-15 minutes every day anyway, in warm water up to the connecting point of his carapace, but even though he's doing the swallowing actions, it's difficult to know if anything much is really going down. He's always been doing normal toilet business when he's there, and urates expelled have always been creamy not gritty, but now for two days there's been no urination at all, even though it looks like he's straining and moving his tail around to get something out. All that comes out are bubbles.

In the meantime we've decided to feed him wetter food, dipping it in water before feeding it to him, and he got a tiny bit of cucumber today, although I know people have reservations about that. If he's become dehydrated, do people have any suggestions to try to get him to learn how to drink properly, or become less scared of water? To our knowledge he's never had any bad experiences with it. We've been aware of the need to not feed too many oxalate-containing foods, so how long should we let him go without toilet action before we should be worried?

Thanks if you can give any advice!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It seems like you are well aware of all the factors involved here. If he's soaking everyday, I doubt you have a dehydration problem. Sounds like an unusual behavioral quirk.

What are you using for UV lighting? Other lighting and heating?

Ryongsyong

5 Year Member
He's in an indoor vivarium at the moment, with the normal sort of temp gradient and a UV fluorescent tube and MVB heat/UV lamp, and a 65/35 top soil/playsand mix that he's always had. Today he passed a solid, which suggests there's not too much of a problem in that area. Generally he'll do that every day, and then once week or so hold it for a day longer, so that's normal. The urination thing does seem very out of character though. Monday was the last time we saw him go, and generally he'll always do it in the bath, and there aren't signs elsewhere that he's been. As it stands his appetite is as healthy as ever and he's quite perky, but it seems very obvious when watching him in the bath that he's trying to get something out, with his tail flexing and moving around, and him moving his back legs, but it's just bubbles, although today there was a tiny (I mean microscopic) bit of creamy urate.

We weigh him every day and if anything, in the last five days he's lost a few grams, so presumably whatever's going in is coming out one way of another, but I'm sure that there's something in there he's having trouble getting rid of. As I mentioned before, how long is it normal for there to be no urination with an RT, before you should start to think about going off to a vet?

(Actually, rereading what I wrote, I suppose it's possible he's just not been passing urates for a while, and so what I think are "bubbles" is just clear urine, although that wouldn't explain why he seems to be straining like that. We always have a cuttlebone out and he's not wanted to eat it for a while, so perhaps there just isn't a great deal of urate to see and it's all alright. Maybe they're diluted because he drinks so much, because I'm always bathing him? Hmm, sometimes tortoises cause too much worry for me! If only they knew the damage they cause to my sanity! Now I'm wondering if it's worth not bathing him for a day or so and looking for wet patches ... What do people think? Am I just being a paranoid "parent?")

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he is an adult he does not need to be soaked every day. However, if you think he is not getting enough water, then it would be best to soak him more often. The cucumber doesn't do much for their diet, but it does help hydrate them. Maybe do a soak every other day.

Ryongsyong

5 Year Member
Today as I said I might do, I didn't give him a bath, and he produced a solid and also some completely clear urine. So almost certainly those "bubbles" were clear urine too. Duh; can't believe it took me four days to think of that. He must be sick of baths :). Poor thing!

I think for the time being a bath every two days should be sufficient ... and I'll let him have a bit of that kale that's been sitting in the fridge for a few days too!

Thanks for the help!

(Still not sure why he chooses such a weird way of drinking though. Maybe he's just bored :) )