norma.b

Location (City and/or State)
St Lucia ESTUARY KZN South Africa

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
The only thing that these guys like more than Plantain is Cranberry Hibiscus. They had all gone to bed for the night before adding leaves from both but almost all of them woke up to come eat.
radiated-10-241.jpgradiated-10-242.jpgradiated-10-243.jpg

TaylorTortoise

Abington
That is awesome. I wish I had all the space to keep multiple tortoises. I only have room for two.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
That is awesome. I wish I had all the space to keep multiple tortoises. I only have room for two.
We have plenty of space outside for them but plan on keeping them indoors for two years or so. We are hoping they continue to cohabitate well until they are ready to move out.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Great looking group! Looks like you'll have at least one with a yellow head.
Yeah, one has more yellow on its head than the others but it isn't solid yellow. That one is from Mad4Rads. I think it is from SB#882.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Yeah, one has more yellow on its head than the others but it isn't solid yellow. That one is from Mad4Rads. I think it is from SB#882.

That makes sense. There are several old threads in this subforum with photos of John L's tortoises, including a great 9+ page thread by a guy in AL who bought about a dozen, 8james8.

I've never understood if more yellow skin on the head can develop over time, ie., the black on the head becomes more yellow, or if the coloration is constant from hatching. I suppose this would be a question for Bill.

At any rate, I love seeing photos of these guys!

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
That makes sense. There are several old threads in this subforum with photos of John L's tortoises, including a great 9+ page thread by a guy in AL who bought about a dozen, 8james8.

I've never understood if more yellow skin on the head can develop over time, ie., the black on the head becomes more yellow, or if the coloration is constant from hatching. I suppose this would be a question for Bill.

I am interested in learning more about their color/pattern changes over time too. It seems like people who have kept them for a long time can tell what they will look like as adults by their patterns as hatchlings.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia

zovick

10 Year Member!

If they have black on their heads as babies, it will generally stay there for life. The black area may get smaller relative to the size of the head, and it may fade to a more grayish hue with age, but it usually doesn't disappear.

IE, if you want a yellow-headed adult, you must get an entirely yellow-headed baby.

zovick

10 Year Member!
@dd33 The babies are very lovely!

Are all of your babies from John Lucas? If not, where did you get the others? Just curious if some may be from my bloodlines as there are quite a few of my former animals in FL with different owners who are also breeding them now.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
@dd33 The babies are very lovely!

Are all of your babies from John Lucas? If not, where did you get the others? Just curious if some may be from my bloodlines as there are quite a few of my former animals in FL with different owners who are also breeding them now.
We have three from John (#366, #419 and #882). Three from 3J's (two from #222 and one other that I don't think is in the studbook). Also three from **** Bartlett that I am not entirely certain about the history on yet.