Orchids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
Wasnt sure if this was for the help or plant id section! Admin feel free to move!

How do u guys look after orchid plants and they still survive, i buy plants for other people and once the flower has died they never grow back, whats the key secret? Found all sorts of different ways on google, what do u find works best!
Thanks x

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I have a garden window and I have 10 orchid's. The are a few different kinds, but I don't know the names. I notice they bloom at different times too. Right now all but three are blooming. In a few more weeks, more into the Summer the other one's will bloom. They are all small, not the really big ones. They get about 3 hours of sun in the window, which is in the kitchen. I also have dry forced air for heat, and it's really killing my sinus, so every morning in the Winter I boil a big pot of water until there's nothing in the pot. So, they get a lot of warm humidity. I also mist them sometimes in the afternoon when it's full sun in the window. I feed them once a month with orchid food during the Winter when they are not in bloom, and I keep them moist, but not totally wet. That's about all I do that I can think of. I know they need lots of humidity.

I just thought of something else. In the Winter the garden window is very drafty and cold. So maybe they need a cooling period to bloom. Also the sun that they get is filtered because I have a screen there too. So it isn't direct hot sun, but sunny just the same. Here's two of them now.

0144.jpg

011-3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.