Orchid bark, and coal

Dave CH

Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
Hi everyone,
We are, as advised on these forums, moving to 100 percent orchid bark for our indoor enclosures (six-year-old Hermanns).

One of the two suppliers we're talking with always puts coal in her orchid bark, but would (of course) omit perlite, etc.
My question: Should we avoid coal?

Big thanks -
Dave

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I presume you're talking about horticultural charcoal?

If the substrate is just orchid bark, idk if there would be a benefit. If I was planting in the substrate or making a bioactive substrate then I might use some charcoal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone,
We are, as advised on these forums, moving to 100 percent orchid bark for our indoor enclosures (six-year-old Hermanns).

One of the two suppliers we're talking with always puts coal in her orchid bark, but would (of course) omit perlite, etc.
My question: Should we avoid coal?

Big thanks -
Dave
I would omit it.

Dave CH

Switzerland

If the substrate is just orchid bark, idk if there would be a benefit. If I was planting in the substrate or making a bioactive substrate then I might use some charcoal.
Yes jaizei, I believe so.
Dave

Dave CH

Switzerland

I don't think we'll be planting before the next time we refresh the substrate.
This (the terrariums) is purely for them to come out of hibernation and for them pre-hibernation. The rest of the time they're outside day and night.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I don't think we'll be planting before the next time we refresh the substrate.
This (the terrariums) is purely for them to come out of hibernation and for them pre-hibernation. The rest of the time they're outside day and night.
I use pothos in pots in my enclosure and that helps keep them just above chomping range. I also added some metal mesh fence that I bent into an arc so the pothos could grow on top from the pot and create a tunnel as it grew onto the wall. Otherwise plants are not necessary like the heat and humidity requirements. Good Luck!

Dave CH

Switzerland
I use pothos in pots in my enclosure and that helps keep them just above chomping range. I also added some metal mesh fence that I bent into an arc so the pothos could grow on top from the pot and create a tunnel as it grew onto the wall. Otherwise plants are not necessary like the heat and humidity requirements. Good Luck!
Thanks Blackdog1714.
Plants will, I guess, come along next year. This is the first year for these new terrariums and we're still getting to know them.
Dave