Orange line on stomach

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexor65

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
My sulcata has this orange line down its stomach. He has had it since I got him and I haven't been able to find anything on it. Does anyone know what that is? Is it normal for a tortoise about 3 months of age? Also should their shell be completely hardened by that age too?

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
My baby tortoise always had those orange lines on its plastron too. I always thought it was just growth lines of some sort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Never seen them orange. Pink or red could indicate an infection. We need a pic and we need to know how you house and care for it. Your temps, substrate, lighting, food, soaking routine, etc...

Its hard to explain "shell hardness" over the internet. By three months it should be pretty well hardened up and feel sort of like plastic. If you push on it there should be some give, but not a lot. It should not feel mushy or leathery.

rexor65

5 Year Member
Arizona
here is a pic

Attachments

• 100_1554.JPG
    100_1554.JPG
    855.6 KB · Views: 105

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
It's not very clear, but that certainly doesn't look good. How long have you had him, you said it was there when you got him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We need a better one. Too dark and blurry. Looks like the umbilical area. Have you had him for three months? Or did they tell you he was three months? He's got some decent growth on him for that age, so it does not seem like something life threatening. Possibly an infection at the umbilical scar. I'd find a vet who knows torts and let him/her have a look at it.

rexor65

5 Year Member
Arizona
he is on rabbit pellets right now but we are in the process of getting him different substrate. He has a heat lamp and a UVB lamp that are both on during the day. We also use the calcium powder on his food. not really sure what the humidity level is though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Probably not related to your issue, but just want to make sure you aren't using one of those coil bulbs for UV.

Does he get outside time and real direct sunshine and grazing time?

What are your four temps? Cool side, warm side, basking spot and night? If his temps are off, it might make it harder for him to fight off an infection of any sort.

Glad you are replacing the rabbit pellets. You and he will both be happier with something more suitable.

rexor65

5 Year Member
Arizona
Tom said:
We need a better one. Too dark and blurry. Looks like the umbilical area. Have you had him for three months? Or did they tell you he was three months? He's got some decent growth on him for that age, so it does not seem like something life threatening. Possibly an infection at the umbilical scar. I'd find a vet who knows torts and let him/her have a look at it.

we have had him since the end of august. the pet store said he was about two months old so thats what im going off of. I have been looking around to take him to a vet to get an overall check in general too.

Tom said:
Probably not related to your issue, but just want to make sure you aren't using one of those coil bulbs for UV.

Does he get outside time and real direct sunshine and grazing time?

What are your four temps? Cool side, warm side, basking spot and night? If his temps are off, it might make it harder for him to fight off an infection of any sort.

Glad you are replacing the rabbit pellets. You and he will both be happier with something more suitable.

unfortunately we still have a coil light, we have it higher up right now but im going tomorrow or friday to pick up the combination ones. As for sunlight, ive taken him outside a few times but its only out by the pool deck and i just sit with him for a half hour or so. My roommate and i are going to build a small enclosure at a friends house so he can hang out there a few times a week. As for the temps im not really sure. I know the basking spot feels like a good temp, he hangs out there most of the time and his enclosure is in a walk in closet so it keeps it warmer.

Attachments

• 100_1555.JPG
    100_1555.JPG
    576.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_1559.JPG
    100_1559.JPG
    925 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_1556.JPG
    100_1556.JPG
    713.2 KB · Views: 54

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
There are lots of peeps on here from Arizona, maybe someone can refer you to one. We also have a vet list, check the main page. I am not a wait and see what happens person, at the first sign of anything I call my vet. I hope it's nothing. Any chance it could be like betadyne or iodine? When I was little and had a cut or scratch my Mom would put iodine on my booboo, I wonder if it's something like like to keep the umbilical cord area clean?

rexor65

5 Year Member
Arizona
Torty Mom said:
There are lots of peeps on here from Arizona, maybe someone can refer you to one. We also have a vet list, check the main page. I am not a wait and see what happens person, at the first sign of anything I call my vet. I hope it's nothing. Any chance it could be like betadyne or iodine? When I was little and had a cut or scratch my Mom would put iodine on my booboo, I wonder if it's something like like to keep the umbilical cord area clean?

Yeah im going to take him in as soon as possible. It definitely could be something like that, the pet store said they get all their sulcatas from a private breeder. He is still very active too. I have him out right now and he is climbing up and down every blanket. towel and pillow he can find haha.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The coil bulbs can blind them. I would not use it anymore. If he's getting a half hour of sun a few times a week, you don't need any indoor UV anyway.

Its really easy and cheap to make your own sunning enclosure. Check this out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Cheap-Easy-Simple-Sunning-Enclosure#axzz1ZJnaJtjl

Or this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ut-Safe-Outdoor-Baby-Enclosures#axzz1ZJnaJtjl

I've never seen orange like that. How long has it been that way?

You've gotta get a thermometer. Reptiles are temperature dependent. If you don't know your temps, you won't be able to set them where they need to be.

I hope you will let us help you...

rexor65

5 Year Member
Arizona
Tom said:
The coil bulbs can blind them. I would not use it anymore. If he's getting a half hour of sun a few times a week, you don't need any indoor UV anyway.

Its really easy and cheap to make your own sunning enclosure. Check this out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Cheap-Easy-Simple-Sunning-Enclosure#axzz1ZJnaJtjl

Or this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ut-Safe-Outdoor-Baby-Enclosures#axzz1ZJnaJtjl

I've never seen orange like that. How long has it been that way?

You've gotta get a thermometer. Reptiles are temperature dependent. If you don't know your temps, you won't be able to set them where they need to be.

I hope you will let us help you...

A thermometer will definitely be on the list of things to pick up this weekend. The orange lines have been there since we got him from the pet store about a month ago. I think i'm still gonna go buy a mercury vapor bulb until we can get that enclosure up. I also plan on making a trip to a vet to see what these orange lines are from.

Status
Not open for further replies.